Running both standard and reverse polarity at once?

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
heykenny

Running both standard and reverse polarity at once?

Post by heykenny » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:03 pm

I am using a 4x4 and am using output splitters for the lower current pedals in order to cover everything. Using a splitter is it possible to run both a standard polarity and a reverse polarity off the same output? I have the needed cables, just not sure if it would cause any issues.

Rez

Re: Running both standard and reverse polarity at once?

Post by Rez » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:44 am

Yes. Using an Output Splitter Adapter, part# PPAV to powering both a standard and reverse polarity pedal is generally fine, unless... one of these pedals uses a positive ground circuit*.

*Some devices (usually ones with germanium diodes/transistors) are engineered with what is called a positive ground circuit (not to be confused with the polarity of the power jack itself, which may be center positive or center negative).

You should not use an output splitter to power a device with a positive ground circuit together with your standard type pedals (ie. typical Boss, MXR, Ibanez, etc...). Doing so will short-circuit (and could cause damage to the power supply).

What are the two pedals you plan to share the output splitter, I'll confirm?
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

heykenny

Post by heykenny » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:51 pm

One would be a standard Boss, Z-Vex, EQD, MXR type pedal. Haven't decided yet which will share. The reverse polarity pedal is a Dice Works Muff Diver Finale fuzz.

Rez

Post by Rez » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:55 am

Great. Any of those should work fine paired on an output splitter (although, I'm only 99% certain about the Dice Works Muff Diver Finale fuzz).

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick

heykenny

Post by heykenny » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks for the info. I did a little more web sleuthing and it does seem that perhaps the MDF is a positive ground circuit. Not a ton of info out there, but it sounds like that to be safe I shouldn't share an output splitter with this pedal. A reverse polarity cable will work fine by itself of course (I've done this before) but not in a daisy-chain.

Rez

Post by Rez » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Right on. If the Dice Works Muff Diver Finale fuzz won't work on an output splitter then simply power it in isolation (and use the splitter with other pedals).

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick