Pedal Power 2 Plus extremely noisy

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
Witch-king of Ama'r

Pedal Power 2 Plus extremely noisy

Post by Witch-king of Ama'r » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:50 pm

Hello fellow Voodoo practitioners

My first post. I love my Voodoo Micro Vibe pedal, so I figured it's time to try the highly praised Voodoo Pedal Power 2 Plus. So, recently bought a used PP2+ for my pedalboard in the home studio. It's placed under the wooden board, and it powers the pedals beautifully.

But it makes a terribly loud hum through the pickups of my guitars to the point that I can't use the PP2+ at all! The hum is directional. Only if I play the guitar 10 feet away from the PP2+, with my back to the pedalboard, can I get the hum down to a lower level. Still, even then, the level of noise is nowhere near an acceptable level for recording a good guitar sound from the amp.

I usually power the same pedalboard with my Harley Benton PowerPlant Jr., and never experienced any hum from it. So, normally, I'm fine, but I wanted to buy the Voodoo product in order to have a high end, reliable, durable unit.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, other than going back to the cheap PowerPlant Jr.?

Cheers,
Tobias

Rez

Re: Pedal Power 2 Plus extremely noisy

Post by Rez » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:08 pm

Certainly... there is missing some critical detail.

Are there any effect pedals and/or cables positioned or routed directly above (or very close to the power supply)?

Typically, this is not a problem but sometimes a device can be susceptible to coupling noise/interference merely by being placed in close proximity to a power supply.
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

Witch-king of Ama'r

Post by Witch-king of Ama'r » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:17 pm

I disassembled the whole thing. Moved pedals, audio- and power cables away from the pedalboard.

Now I'm connecting units and cables again - one by one.
So far, no noise issues.
To be continued.....

Rez

Post by Rez » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Nice... fingers crossed and keep me posted, thanks!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick

Witch-king of Ama'r

Post by Witch-king of Ama'r » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:33 am

I reorganized - randomly - all the cables going to my pedals.
For some reason, the hum issue got somewhat better.

Still, the problem is not solved.
I did a lot of experiments back and forth.
Hence, I got to a few solid conclusions:

1) When I play my guitar 3 feet from the pedalboard, the PP2+ adds EMI hum.
2) The hum is present, even when no pedals powered by the PP2+ is in the signal chain, i.e. simply just turning the PP2+ power on, produces EMI hum, that goes away then turning it off.
3) Actually having PP2+ powering some of the pedals in the signal chain does not make the hum any louder. So it generates the same amount of noise, no matter if they are plugged to it or not.
4) With only the Harley Benton isolated power going to each pedal in the experiment, and the PP2+ off, there is some hum that increases / decreases when I hold the guitar in different directions up to at least 10 feet away from the pedalboard. The Voodoo PP2+ does not influence noise that far away from the pedalboard when it's on, so the HB is responsible for the hum created far from the pedalboard.

Still, the noise generated via Voodoo PP2+ is worse, but at least easier to avoid by physically moving a little bit away from the pedals.

Rez

Post by Rez » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:33 pm

I expect the root cause is still not yet identified and involves additional details to your setup.

Are your amplifier and Pedal Power 2 Plus both powered from the same wall outlet (if not, how so)?
Cheers,
Ben Resnick

Witch-king of Ama'r

Post by Witch-king of Ama'r » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:05 am

Thanks, I will describe my setup here:

Audio
Guitar > Pedals (all in series) > AMP (Fender Blues Junior IV).

Power
Wall socket (w/ground) > Power strip (grounded) > Two grounded power supplies; Voodoo PP2+ and PowerPlantJr (both grounded). Small power cables to pedals.
The amp (Fender Blues Junior) is powered and grounded in the same strip as the two power supplies.

Hope this makes sense.

By the way - I have been using the setup since my first post. And while the problem remains, it is not unusable like first time I connected it. I just have to be aware not to sit too close to the Voodoo PP2+, because its' electrical field (?) makes the guitar hum go a little crazy. Still, if there is a more real solution, I would like to apply that.

Cheers, and happy new year.

Rez

Post by Rez » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:08 pm

At such a distance, the strength of the field emit from transformer itself would be undetectable. Any persistent effect would need to involve some additional variable(s).

Likely, I can help resolve this issue more easily via phone call. Can you perhaps call me while you are at the gear? 707-545-0600 x110
Cheers,
Ben Resnick