Need Help - Voodoo PP2 - weird shock pop

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
TimoRamoan

Need Help - Voodoo PP2 - weird shock pop

Post by TimoRamoan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:55 pm

Hey,

So correct me if I'm wrong. From what I understand in the manual, the 5th and 6th outputs set in the ON position (not normal) and connected with a doubler cable will produce 12v (every other would be 18v). So I grabbed a voodoo doubler cable and connected it to a behringer ma400a that requires 12v's (its a simple in ear monitor, my bottom row is my chain of pedals, on top I have channel switcher and a vocoder pedal). After plugging in, the power seemed to work, but a minute later I heard a huge POP/burn smell at the pedal and I quickly un-plugged it. Thinking I blew something in the pedal I tested it along with the rest of the outputs and everything works!

Any idea why it popped? it sounded external, directly near the pedal/adapter in put. I tested the behringer with the pedal it came with, I haven't plugged it in from the voodoo.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Rez

Re: Need Help - Voodoo PP2 - weird shock pop

Post by Rez » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm

It depends on the type of "doubler" used (current or voltage)...

Since the MA400 requires 12VDC (not 24VDC) you would need to use a Current Doubler Adapter, part# PPAP, which connects two same voltage outputs (in parallel) to sum their current capacities (ie. 12VDC 250mA + 12VDC 250mA for 12VDC 500mA capacity).

Whereas, your MA400 might be damaged using a Voltage Doubler Adapter, part# PPAY, which connects two outputs (in series) to sum their voltages (ie. 12VDC + 12VDC for 24VDC).

That said, the MA400 only needs 150mA (according to its manual).

So, to power it with Pedal Power 2 Plus, simply use output 5 or 6 DIP switch set away from NORMAL... no "doubler" adapter is necessary!

P.S. a popping noise as you describe is often accompanied by something no longer working. But, if everything still works, likely all is well.
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support