Blown Pedals

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
Stompbox Steve

Blown Pedals

Post by Stompbox Steve » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:38 am

Hello
I am new to this forum and wanted to get some insight into a problem I was just tackled with. I have been using the Power Pedal 2 Plus (along with another supply) to run my main pedal board for years... no issues, great product. I have stripped things down for a "overnight" rig...

I plugged in a number of pedals into the unit and it seems The Power Pedal 2 blew something in a couple of the pedals. The line up was:

Dunlop 535> Analogman compressor > Boss TWah > EHX Bass Balls(Nano) > Boss HM2 > Homemade Fuzz > Boss Pitch/Delay

I powered it up and now the TWah, Bass Balls and Boss Heavy Metal don't work with any DC power supply. I tried them individually with a 1spot & Boss adapter and nothing. They work with the battery.

I have some experience modifying pedals but wanted to see if anyone had any input. I appreciate your feedback.

* all the DIP switches on the bottom were on normal
Thanks, Steve

JohnClark

Re: Blown Pedals

Post by JohnClark » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:52 pm

In all the years I've been here, I have yet to see a pedal that was actually killed by a Pedal Power output when using the proper cable. Even with the DIP switch set incorrectly, it is virtually impossible to kill a Boss pedal with a Pedal Power. For instance, I used to run a Metal Zone at 12V just for kicks ;)

I know it probably seems redundant, but can you test any one of the pedals per the following method:
1. Put a battery in any one of the suspect pedals.
2. Connect your guitar to the pedal and the pedal to the amp.
3. Activate the pedal and play through it just to hear that all is working.
4. Without changing anything else, connect the DC power source of your choice to the power jack of the pedal.
...does the pedal stop working?

Many have been temporarily tricked into thinking the pedals don't work by not having a guitar cable connected to the Input of the pedal in question... myself included!

Of course, if you find that the problem persists, I would certainly want to see the Pedal Power and the suspect pedals myself so I can get to the bottom of what happened and get this resolved for you.

I hope that helps!

Stompbox Steve

Post by Stompbox Steve » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Hello John
I am sorry for the delay with my response, as I was traveling for work and unable to test them. I plugged the battery in, operated them and then plugged the DC power plug into the pedals (yes the DC was powered):
BassBalls:completely dead, LED included
TWah: working but lost power and dim LED
Heavy Metal: working but lost power and dim LED

This is the first time I have never seen this and I have been a pedal head close to 30 years.

What does this tell you? Do you want me to send them in?
Thanks, Steve

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:16 am

I just checked up on the two Boss pedals and see they are both "ACA" pedals. These two should be powered from any of outputs 1-4 with the corresponding DIP switches set away from Normal. Boss pedals that were designed to use the Boss ACA adapter require more than 9V to operate correctly. I'd bet this is all that is wrong for those two.

As for the Bassballs Nano, I don't quite know what to say. I see from poking around that this pedal has reverse polarity protection, so even if you had used the wrong cable it would be quite hard to actually kill this pedal.

If you are certain that anything isn't working as it should then yes, I would like the chance to take a look at it all including your Pedal Power and your Pedal Power cables. Feel free to give us a call or write to info@voodoolab.com so we can schedule for an inspection on these things, and be sure to mention this thread.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue May 13, 2014 3:24 pm

I got your pedals and can confirm that both Boss pedals look to be working correctly when powered from the Pedal Power.
However, the BassBalls is acting a bit strange. Since it works from the battery, I'd suspect a cracked, or otherwise broken, power jack. I'll open it up and take a look inside to see if there is anything obvious. One question for you: What is the added pot on the side of the BassBalls?

Stompbox Steve

Post by Stompbox Steve » Fri May 23, 2014 9:00 am

Hello John
I appreciate you looking at them, sorry for the delay I just started a new job and side tracked I am confused with your feedback. The two boss pedals worked fine out of the box? that seems crazy and that the connector is the issue you saw. That is great for me as I just wanted my pedals and Power Pedal to work but I am confused.

The knob on the Bassballs is a master volume. So I can have it loud for the clean and then crank the distortion but back down the overall volume. I feel quiet parts still can be nasty and distorted.

Steve

kirkwince

Post by kirkwince » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:22 am

Hey John,

Hoping that this message finds you well, because I have a similar problem with several blown pedals that were connected to my PP2+. This happened about a year ago, but seeing as how I was finishing my senior year in college and subsequently starting a new job I didn't get a chance to address it until now.

I was playing guitar in my living room through my Orange Rockerverb 50 with a pretty large pedalboard. I had all eight power outlets used, and was running a daisy chain (a Visual Sound One Spot daisy chain cable) off of one of the outputs to power a Korg Pitchblack tuner, ZVex Instant LoFi Junky, Boss Super Phaser, and Boss HM2. I moved the daisy chain on my board and one of the 2.1mm plugs touched the chassis of the PP2+, which then caused a huge spark, and my Rockerverb made a loud "crack" noise and started making huge amounts of feedback. I immediately turned everything off and unplugged it all, and didn't touch it for about an hour. When I tested everything out, all of the pedals that were connected to the daisy chain were no longer working. I tested them with a different 9V power adapters, and the LEDs on all of the pedals will turn on, but when engaged there is no signal. The output they were connected to on the PP2+ no longer works (and I didn't test the other ones in fear of frying any other pedals). My Rockerverb makes loads of feedback and the signal is extremely quiet, thin, and overdriven.

I haven't been able to afford any repairs on my amp, so I haven't gotten a diagnosis from a tech, and a friend of mine who builds some basic pedals looked at the pedals that are broken and couldn't figure out what is wrong. I really miss having this equipment working, and I was going to send my pedals to a repair service in hopes that they could be fixed. I found this thread while I was looking at options and figured I would message here to see if you had any input on what could have happened.

Thanks,

Ricky

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:40 am

kirkwince wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:22 am
Hey John,

Hoping that this message finds you well, because I have a similar problem with several blown pedals that were connected to my PP2+. This happened about a year ago, but seeing as how I was finishing my senior year in college and subsequently starting a new job I didn't get a chance to address it until now.

I was playing guitar in my living room through my Orange Rockerverb 50 with a pretty large pedalboard. I had all eight power outlets used, and was running a daisy chain (a Visual Sound One Spot daisy chain cable) off of one of the outputs to power a Korg Pitchblack tuner, ZVex Instant LoFi Junky, Boss Super Phaser, and Boss HM2. I moved the daisy chain on my board and one of the 2.1mm plugs touched the chassis of the PP2+, which then caused a huge spark, and my Rockerverb made a loud "crack" noise and started making huge amounts of feedback. I immediately turned everything off and unplugged it all, and didn't touch it for about an hour. When I tested everything out, all of the pedals that were connected to the daisy chain were no longer working. I tested them with a different 9V power adapters, and the LEDs on all of the pedals will turn on, but when engaged there is no signal. The output they were connected to on the PP2+ no longer works (and I didn't test the other ones in fear of frying any other pedals). My Rockerverb makes loads of feedback and the signal is extremely quiet, thin, and overdriven.

I haven't been able to afford any repairs on my amp, so I haven't gotten a diagnosis from a tech, and a friend of mine who builds some basic pedals looked at the pedals that are broken and couldn't figure out what is wrong. I really miss having this equipment working, and I was going to send my pedals to a repair service in hopes that they could be fixed. I found this thread while I was looking at options and figured I would message here to see if you had any input on what could have happened.

Thanks,

Ricky
Wow! Not too sure how what you describe would have killed the pedals unless maybe you had a major fault on the Ground connection at the wall outlet you were using at the time? 9VDC @ 100-250mA isn't really enough "juice" to cause much damage or really even produce much of a spark.
However, I would be happy to look at your Pedal Power as well as any pedals that appear to have suffered their end. Please give us a call or write to info@voodoolab.com and we can arrange an RMA for you to send me the gear.

I hope that helps!

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:19 am

Hi all,
You need to be careful with the Mesa Boogie Pedals, they do not like to have power from the Pedal Power 2+ with the Switch away from normal, they are only able to take the 9vdc and not 12vdc.

I have blown my Mesa Throttle Box EQ and the repairer in Australia has had a few blown this way that he has repaired.

Cheers
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

Rez

Post by Rez » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Yes, certainly and in general too... using too high a voltage (and/or the wrong polarity) can cause damage.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support