EP103 Echolplex Delay

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
bunzai1

EP103 Echolplex Delay

Post by bunzai1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:43 pm

Just got this pedal, an Echoplex ep103 delay. Plugged it into my Pedal Power 2Plus 9v outlet and the pedal does not function. Contacted Dunlop, and they said I needed to use the supplied adapter, i.e. the pedal was not getting enough power. It needs 9V 240 mA to run. Any way to run this off the PP2+ the power supply? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

JohnClark

Re: EP103 Echolplex Delay

Post by JohnClark » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:13 pm

The Dunlop EP103 Echoplex Delay can be powered from a Pedal Power 2+ on output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal using one of the included all black standard barrel cables.

I hope that helps!

jimmyw

Post by jimmyw » Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 am

JohnClark wrote:The Dunlop EP103 Echoplex Delay can be powered from a Pedal Power 2+ on output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal using one of the included all black standard barrel cables.

I hope that helps!
The above doesn't work for me. Tried it in either 5 or 6 (with DIP in Normal position) and got crickets... Only solution for me is using the Dunlop provided power supply into the courtesy jack of my PP2+. Not a deal breaker for me but I'm puzzled as to why it doesn't work for me. :o

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Fri May 19, 2017 11:37 am

jimmyw wrote:
JohnClark wrote:The Dunlop EP103 Echoplex Delay can be powered from a Pedal Power 2+ on output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal using one of the included all black standard barrel cables.

I hope that helps!
The above doesn't work for me. Tried it in either 5 or 6 (with DIP in Normal position) and got crickets... Only solution for me is using the Dunlop provided power supply into the courtesy jack of my PP2+. Not a deal breaker for me but I'm puzzled as to why it doesn't work for me. :o
Hmm, it should work just fine, the max draw is stated to be 240mA. We have even seen a setup with an EP103 and a M300 Reverb on 5 and 6 at the same time with no trouble.
Does it work if it is the only pedal connected? What else are you powering? Did you check that it isn't a failing power cable? Do you maybe have the Pedal Power 2, not the 2+?

jimmyw

Post by jimmyw » Sun May 21, 2017 7:52 pm

JohnClark wrote:
jimmyw wrote:

I hope that helps!
Hmm, it should work just fine, the max draw is stated to be 240mA. We have even seen a setup with an EP103 and a M300 Reverb on 5 and 6 at the same time with no trouble.
Does it work if it is the only pedal connected? What else are you powering? Did you check that it isn't a failing power cable? Do you maybe have the Pedal Power 2, not the 2+?
LOL! With my PP2+ mounted, I was counting backwards... Trying to use 4 instead of 5. After correctly inserting the cable into 5, it works. Thanks!

Cujo7664

Post by Cujo7664 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Bumping this thread.

Recently got a Dunlop Echoplex Delay and had it on a backup board for testing with great results.
When I put it on my main board, could not get it to power on at all, so found this forum.
After looking into it, I figured out that I have an older Pedal power 2, not the 2 plus.

The big question: Can I use a current doubler cable on outputs 5 and 6 to supply the 240ma the pedal needs?
If I am reading the manual correctly, each of the 8 outputs will only supply 100ma at 9V?
I'm guessing the answer is no, but wanted to confirm.
Most likely I'll have to get an ISO 5, which will do the trick, but don't really want to buy another supply if I can avoid it.

Side note: On my backup board, it is powered with a recently purchased Randall PPS-2 power supply.
I was running the Echoplex on one of the 9V @ 250ma outputs with no problems.
After this issue, I also connected the Echorec to one of the 9V @ 100ma outputs of the Randall supply and the pedal came on when switched (but I didn't play through it).
Thought this was odd since the echoplex did not power on no matter which output I connected to on the Pedal Power 2. I'm almost certain that the Randall power supply is not truly isolated, so my best guess is that it can still supply enough power no matter whether it is connected to a 100 or 250ma output.....
Just curious to hear someone else's opinion on this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Cujo7664 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:22 pm
Bumping this thread.

Recently got a Dunlop Echoplex Delay and had it on a backup board for testing with great results.
When I put it on my main board, could not get it to power on at all, so found this forum.
After looking into it, I figured out that I have an older Pedal power 2, not the 2 plus.

The big question: Can I use a current doubler cable on outputs 5 and 6 to supply the 240ma the pedal needs?
If I am reading the manual correctly, each of the 8 outputs will only supply 100ma at 9V?
I'm guessing the answer is no, but wanted to confirm.
Most likely I'll have to get an ISO 5, which will do the trick, but don't really want to buy another supply if I can avoid it.

Side note: On my backup board, it is powered with a recently purchased Randall PPS-2 power supply.
I was running the Echoplex on one of the 9V @ 250ma outputs with no problems.
After this issue, I also connected the Echorec to one of the 9V @ 100ma outputs of the Randall supply and the pedal came on when switched (but I didn't play through it).
Thought this was odd since the echoplex did not power on no matter which output I connected to on the Pedal Power 2. I'm almost certain that the Randall power supply is not truly isolated, so my best guess is that it can still supply enough power no matter whether it is connected to a 100 or 250ma output.....
Just curious to hear someone else's opinion on this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
On the Pedal Power 2 (NOT the "+" model) the outputs are indeed individually limited to 100mA. So no, you would not be able to combine two outputs to cover the 240mA for the EP103. You could power the EP103 using its supplied power adapter from the Courtesy Outlet on the back of your Pedal Power 2.

Output 5 or 6 (with the corresponding DIP Switch set to Normal on a Pedal Power 2+ or Mondo, or any of the 9V 400mA outputs as found on the ISO-5, Digital, 4x4, Mondo, and even the new Pedal Power X4 would be able to power the EP103 with no problem!

The Catalinbread Echorec is a much lower current draw pedal at about 70mA. It will accept 9-18V so it can actually be powered from any output on any of our power supplies.

As for the other power supply seeming to work... I don't know what to say there as I've never seen one myself. But I wouldn't power the Echoplex from a 100mA output even if it appears to work since you would have to assume they labeled those outputs at 100mA for good reason ;)
However, if you are saying you had the Echoplex on a 250mA out and the Echorec on a 100mA output... well I would expect that to work per the designations on the outputs.

I hope that helps!