Powering my pedalboard : Mondo or 4x4?

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
wurden

Powering my pedalboard : Mondo or 4x4?

Post by wurden » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 am

Hello,

Beeing finalizing my pedalboard these weeks, I am going to buy soon a pedal power. I am currently hesitating between the mondo and the 4x4, I would need some advice.

Here aremy pedals :
Boss ODB-3 13mA
CEB-3 18mA
MT-2 20mA
DD-7 52mA
Dunlop Cry baby 95Q bass 10mA
Fulltone OCD 8mA, 12 or 18V
EHX Micro Pog : 18mA
Neunaber Immerse reverbator 70mA 12V
MXR m87 bass comp : 20mA
Darkglass Alpha Omega ultra : 110 mA
Source Audio Bass enveloppe filter Manta : 140 mA
Buzz Electronics switcher : 250mA

It seems that it will fit on a 4 x 4 Voodoo Lab with even some possible future addings. (891 mA Total).
Knowing that :
- The Neunaber will be on one of the two 12V plugs
- The Fulltone will take either two 100mA 9v plugs to have 18v, or will be with on the same 12V plug as the Neunaber
In this situation, it would fit if many plugs have two or maybe three pedals.

Here are my questions :
- Is it a good idea to have up to 3 pedals on one plug or is it better to go to the above model, with more plugs?
- I need one 12V plug for my Neunaber Immerse. It takes only 70mA out of the 400mA available on the plug. Can I plug other pedals on the 9V plug of the same ouput? (example : the Neunaber is plugged on the 12v plug of a 400mA outpout, can I ue the 9V plug of the same output to plug the Darkglass or any other 9V pedal?)
- Is it ok to use all the current available of one output? For example, if I put the Buzz electronics and the Source Audio, on the same plug, It totals 390mA. Is it ok to do it or is it better to work on another configuration?

And to sumarize, is the 4x4 a good choice, allowing me to have some space for potential new pedals in the future, or should I choose the VoodooLab Mondo?

Thank you in advance for your help ;)

Rez

Re: Powering my pedalboard : Mondo or 4x4?

Post by Rez » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:03 pm

With 12 pedals (as specified) Pedal Power MONDO is a better fit and what I recommend.

I would avoid daisy-chaining if possible. But, if not, use instead Output Splitter Adapter(s), part# PPAV

And, as the 9V and 12V outputs of a 9/12V pair are not isolated from each other, to avoid possible ground loop hum/buzz, the general recommendation is to use only one or the other of the pair. That said... as long as it is to power a 9V pedal and a 12V pedal and their combined current requirement is less than 400mA, then yes, you can certainly try it (using both the 9V and 12V of a 9/12V pair simultaneously).

Also, it is fine to use the outputs (and supply) to full specification/capacity.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

wurden

Post by wurden » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:27 pm

Hello,

Thank you very much for your helpful answer!

I imagine that the reason why it is better to avoid many pedals on the same output is because they will not be isolated and thus some buzz and hum might happen again, am I right?

Cheers

Rez

Post by Rez » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Indeed, that is correct!

;)
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support