Cabling PX-8+

Exchange tips and tricks to help you design the ultimate pedalboard.
Post Reply
Californiavet
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:30 am

Cabling PX-8+

Post by Californiavet » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:46 am

How do I cable my pedals to PX-8+ for these pedals to go in front of amp:

Compression Sustainer BOSS CS-3
Tuber Screamer
5150 Overdrive
Fuzz pedal

and these pedal in the effects loop of the amp to the PX-8+:

Flanger
Phase 90
Super Chorus BOSS CH-1
Digital delay BOSS DD-7
Reverb

JohnClark
Posts: 7037
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: The Lab

Re: Cabling PX-8+

Post by JohnClark » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:37 pm

The PX-8 Loops can be split into two groups. One group has Six series Loops (Loops 1-6) and the other group has Two series Loops. You can route either group to the front of your amp and have the other group in the FX loop.

However in your case there doesn't look to be an easy "6 and 2" split of your pedals unless you are willing to move some things around... also you list more than eight pedals, so will any of them always be used together or are any of them always on?

If I had this set of pedals I'd try try running only the Delay and Reverb in the FX Loop and route everything else to the front of the amp.

Californiavet
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:30 am

Re: Cabling PX-8+

Post by Californiavet » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Couldn't I just daisy chain the Phase 90, Chorus, and Delay between the Flanger and Reverb to have all five pedals on the effects loop? So Loop 7 SEND is on Flanger IN and Flanger OUT is patched to Phase 90 IN which is patched OUT to Loop 7 RETURN and Loop 8 SEND is on Chorus IN and Chorus OUT is patched to Delay IN and Delay OUT is patched to Reverb IN which is patched to Loop 8 RETURN.

How would I cable with your recommendation i.e. Delay and Reverb in the Effects Loop and route everything else to the front of the amp?

JohnClark
Posts: 7037
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: The Lab

Re: Cabling PX-8+

Post by JohnClark » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Californiavet wrote:Couldn't I just daisy chain the Phase 90, Chorus, and Delay between the Flanger and Reverb to have all five pedals on the effects loop? So Loop 7 SEND is on Flanger IN and Flanger OUT is patched to Phase 90 IN which is patched OUT to Loop 7 RETURN and Loop 8 SEND is on Chorus IN and Chorus OUT is patched to Delay IN and Delay OUT is patched to Reverb IN which is patched to Loop 8 RETURN.
Absolutely! This is why I was asking if there are any pedals that you always use together. No problem putting multiple pedals into a single loop, it's just that when you turn that loop off all the connected pedals will be bypassed.
For instance, per your example, when Loop 7 is Off both the Flanger and the Phase 90 will be bypassed. When Loop 8 is Off, the Chorus, the Delay, and the Reverb will all be bypassed.
Californiavet wrote:How would I cable with your recommendation i.e. Delay and Reverb in the Effects Loop and route everything else to the front of the amp?
In this setup You would use Loops 1-6 for your first seven pedals (double something up or place something in front of Loop 1), then use Loops 7 and 8 for the Delay and Reverb individually.


In either setup, the Insert jacks are where you will make the split between front end and FX Loop effects.
-The PX-8 Plus Insert Send will connect to the Instrument Input of your amp.
-The amp's FX Loop Send will connect to the PX-8 Plus Insert Return.
-The PX-8 Plus Out will connect to the amp's FX return.

I hope that helps!

Californiavet
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:30 am

Re: Cabling PX-8+

Post by Californiavet » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:39 pm

I don't use all of them on at the same time that is the five I want in the effects loop and same goes for the four I want in the front of the amp. Can I route either group to Effects loop?

JohnClark
Posts: 7037
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: The Lab

Re: Cabling PX-8+

Post by JohnClark » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Californiavet wrote:I don't use all of them on at the same time that is the five I want in the effects loop and same goes for the four I want in the front of the amp. Can I route either group to Effects loop?
No problem!

If you want Loops 7 & 8 in front of the amp and Loops 1-6 in the FX Loop you would do the following...

-Guitar to PX-8 Plus Insert Return.
-Front End effects connected to Loops 7 & 8.
-PX-8 Out to the amp's Instrument Input.

-FX Send from the amp to the PX-8 Plus Input.
-FX Loop effects in Loops 1-6.
-PX-8 Plus Insert Send to the amp's FX Return.

Let us know if you get stuck!

Californiavet
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:30 am

Re: Cabling PX-8+

Post by Californiavet » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:54 pm

John,

Simply perfect! Just a little tap dancing with the effects loop but well worth it! Now to program it. Love the PX-8+!

Post Reply