voodoo chorus

Exchange tips and tricks to help you design the ultimate pedalboard.
stratkiller5150

voodoo chorus

Post by stratkiller5150 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:05 pm

im new to the forum and new to voodoo pedals and i have just recently purchased a used but near new mint chorus, while waiting on it to cme ( from canada) i was reading harmony central reviews and they were kinda poor! the vol boost everyone is talking about and the white noise problem,i bought the chorus to only use for clean but through a hi gain splawn quickrod,while i am only planning on using this pedal to do clean stuff only compressed i think i read that it needed to be in a certain place in the chain, i run in the loop and a mxr carbon copy delay and a verbzilla reverb pedal and now the chorus, out front i run a modded c-s 3 and a modded keeley ds-1 with a tu-12 boss tuner and a modded vox wah to a eb vol pedal, is there a way or a order to run these effects? and where can i get one of these kits to remove the boost or things and directions for hiss and vol boost?
thanks!

stratkiller5150

Re: voodoo chorus

Post by stratkiller5150 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:09 am

well i see the forum is very slow or hardly any members avaliable for comment, but i will say that voodoo has contacted me and has reasured me as a excellent company they are and how they strive to take care of those users of their products and when a user of their product is in need of some help they are very willing to work with you to show they care! im please with the responce and look forward to working with them and purchasing more of the voodoo product line in the future and stand assured of their confidence in the products they sell! which we all know is a dying breed of bouquet pedal builders out there, BUY MORE VOODOO!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:08 pm

You cant believe everything you read on the internet... even from me... however I will see what I can do here.
First and foremost I would suggest waiting until you can hear the Analog Chorus yourself in your own rig. It is not like most any chorus most people are used to. Being an analog based circuit there is more noise than a digital chorus, but there is a warmth and tone that no digital chorus can touch in my opinion.
The perceived volume boost has been talked about elsewhere on this forum. It is a boost to some low frequencies and can be modded out of the pedal, however it does not affect all setups the same way. Before you make a decision about this mod you should listen to the pedal to hear if it even happens in your rig and if it is anywhere near as offensive as some will have you believe. Not that long ago most people we talked to thought of the perceived boost as a feature!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

mischultz

Post by mischultz » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:41 am

Update first: since having written this, I did try putting the Analog Chorus first in the chain. Magic. My guess is that it doesn't care for buffers at all. I have a compressor on all the time and so it was *always* seeing at least one thing it didn't like. But I'm quite happy with the way things have settled in.

I'm sure it's approximately the billionth time you've been asked, but for those of us who like the tonal shift but have challenges dealing with the volume bump, is there a volume pot mod available: something that offers a choke on the final output but doesn't impact the sonic thumbprint of the pedal?

Thanks,

Michael

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:20 pm

There is a mod, but it has nothing to do with the volume. The mod is a EQ tweak to the very low bass frequencies... it is this low frequency boost that causes the perceived volume boost. Give us a call or send an email to info@voodoo lab to discuss whatever options may be available to you for getting your Analog Chorus modded.

mischultz

Post by mischultz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:34 pm

I added the edit to reflect the fact that I don't get the egregious volume bump when it's first in the chain, and that's where I'm going to leave it. Not the traditional order of things, but why argue when it works?

Best,

Michael

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:08 pm

mischultz wrote: I'm sure it's approximately the billionth time you've been asked, but for those of us who like the tonal shift but have challenges dealing with the volume bump, is there a volume pot mod available: something that offers a choke on the final output but doesn't impact the sonic thumbprint of the pedal?
The mod to remove the offending bass frequencies has less of a sonic impact on the overall tone of the pedal than any volume pot mod would have. The frequencies that are removed likely are not even audible through a typical guitar amp speaker. A volume pot added across the output would start rolling off highs. Basically it comes down to knowing when to choose a surgeon over a butcher. ;)