New amp (BE 50 Deluxe) and contemplating control switcher

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
marino

New amp (BE 50 Deluxe) and contemplating control switcher

Post by marino » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi, I currently have a GCX, Hex, and Ground Control Pro. I only have a single vacant slot on my Hex (loop 6) so I don’t think the situation I describe below can be alleviated with my current setup. Of my two current amps, one is single channel and the other is MIDI capable so channel switching has never been a concern.

However, I just recently purchased a Friedman BE 50 Deluxe. It has three channels and a two button foot switch. I want to add switching for this amp into my rig. I have been looking at the Control Switcher and I think that’s the answer. I am unsure of what else to buy to make it work. A few questions:
1. What kind of cable do I need to switch between all three channels on BE 50?
2. Will it be possible to store presets on GCP that target a channel on the BE50, e.g., switch to preset one and it’s a clean channel with a mix of effects, switch to channel two and it is the crunch channel with a different mix of effects, etc.
3. Do I have to use instant access buttons to achieve this? I prefer to run my GCP in 10 presets mode. Hoping to achieve the above without changing that but confused how a two button footswitch on the BE 50 would translate to the Control Switcher being able to access all three channels without toggling.

Thanks and hope the above wasn’t tooooo dumb of a question haha.

JohnClark

Re: New amp (BE 50 Deluxe) and contemplating control switcher

Post by JohnClark » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:15 pm

You should only need an Insert Point Cable to make this work... and another MIDI Cable ;)

The Control Switcher will control your amp using just two of its switches. Connect the two Mono ends of an Insert Cable to two of the 1/4" jacks on the Control Switcher, then connect the Stereo end of the Insert Point cable to the footswitch jack on your amp.

The Control Switcher will respond to Ground Control Pro presets exactly as you describe, no problem! (It can also be controlled with Instant Access buttons should you later want to change your setup.)

The Control Switcher will act as a third GCX, much in the same way your HEX is likely acting as GCX #2.

I hope that helps!

marino

Post by marino » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:50 pm

This helps very much and I thank you John. Had you not said “and another midi cable”, when the amp arrived and I sat down to hook all this up I would have been a really sad guy haha.

marino

Post by marino » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:16 am

One more question here. I was thinking it may make more sense to pick up another Hex, giving me options for future expansion.
I already have a Hex and could then mount both right in the rack which would be a neater solution as well.
Can I achieve channel switching of all three channels on the BE50 using an additional Hex? I’m guessing with the series loops I may not be able to do this. Thanks again.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Loop 1 on the HEX Switcher is isolated from Loops 2-6 just for this sort of thing.
If you had two HEX switchers you could control the amp using Loop 1 from each HEX. For instance, Loop 1 on HEX #1 could select between Clean and Dirty, and Loop 1 on HEX #2 could select between the 2 Dirty channels.
You would still need an Insert Point Cable (and a MIDI Cable ;) ) if you decided to go with a second HEX over a Control Switcher.

marino

Post by marino » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks John, using Loop one on each Hex is definitely an option for me. One thing I still can’t get my head around is how the channel switching would actually work.

The BE50 is a three channel amp. I take an insert point cable, TRS goes into the foot switch jack on the BE50. One mono end goes into the Hex 1, Loop 1 Send (or Out?), other mono end goes into the Hex 2, Loop 2 Send (or Out?). Nothing else gets plugged into the jacks for Loop 1 on either Hex.

When I am storing a preset in the Ground Control Pro, how do I switch channels? By setting a combination of on/off for each Hex’s Loop 1?
E.g.,
Hex 1: Loop 1 ON, Hex 2: Loop 1 OFF - switches to clean channel
Hex 1: Loop 1 OFF, Hex 2: Loop 1 ON - switches to dirty channel
Hex 1: Loop 1 ON, Hex 2: Loop 1 ON - switches to high gain channel

Thanks again John.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Here is how it would work...

Clean = HEX #1 Loop 1 OFF (here it doesn't matter what HEX #2 Loop 1 is set to since only the Clean Channel is Active)
Dirty 1 = HEX #1 Loop 1 ON/ HEX #2 Loop 1 OFF
Dirty 2 = HEX #1 Loop 1 ON/ HEX #2 Loop 1 ON

It should be that you will use the Out of Loop 1 on each HEX. You can test if you like using the HEX you already have and a regular guitar cable and it will likely switch between Clean (Loop 1 OFF) and Dirty 1 (Loop 1 ON). If it works backward, you can use the Send jack instead.

Let us know how it goes!

marino

Post by marino » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks John this is very helpful. I’m still waiting on the amp to arrive (backorder), hence all the theoretical questions. Was hoping to buy anything I need in anticipation of the new amp getting to me.
I’m going to order the second Hex and the rack piece for it.
I will circle back once all is complete and let you know the end result. Thanks again, Joe

marino

Post by marino » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 am

To report back in case this thread is helpful to others.

This ended up working out very nicely. It turned out that I needed to connect the mono ends of the insert cable to the Loop 1 Send on each Hex. Using Loop 1 Out had things reversed.

If Loop 1 is off, then clean
If Loop 1 is on and Loop 2 is on, first dirt channel
If Loop 1 is on and Loop 2 is off, second dirt channel.

This works just fine using presets called up via Ground Control Pro.

It also ended up being a good idea to get the second Hex instead of the Control Switcher. Now I have the GCX controlling all the pedals running before amp and handling A/B between two different amps. Hex #1 controls all pedals in the fx loop and within the noise gate. Hex #2 controls all pedals in the fx loop but after the noise gate. With the second hex, I could free up slots in each position for future GAS expansion. :)

Thanks again John.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Glad it worked out for you!