Controlling PX-8 Plus with an RJM Mastermind LT

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
hlwilson3rd

Controlling PX-8 Plus with an RJM Mastermind LT

Post by hlwilson3rd » Fri May 03, 2019 11:41 am

Hello all. I am trying to control a PX-8 Plus with an RJM Mastermind LT. I've followed the instructions that came with the PX-8 Plus and I can't get it to work. I enabled the Loop Strip method, I enabled PC changes and I have tried using various midi channels. The result is the same every time. I select a preset on the Mastermind, select the desired loops on the PX-8+ and then push and hold buttons 1 and 6 and nothing happens. What am I missing?

JohnClark

Re: Controlling PX-8 Plus with an RJM Mastermind LT

Post by JohnClark » Fri May 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Sorry to hear you are having troubles!

In Loop Strip Mode you should see a blue light flash on the display whenever there is MIDI Data reaching the PX-8 Plus MIDI In. Do you see this light when sending data from the controller?

PX-8 Plus will default to listening on MIDI Channel 1. When you say you have tried multiple channels, do you mean you changed both the Receive Channel on the PX-8 Plus and the Transmit Channel on the Controller to match?

hlwilson3rd

Re: Controlling PX-8 Plus with an RJM Mastermind LT

Post by hlwilson3rd » Sat May 04, 2019 10:36 am

I did definitely mean multiple midi channels that matched on both units. I am happy to report that with the assistance of Ron Menelli at RJM, I got it working. It turns out that where I had initially added the device as Pedal Switcher, Ron recommended that I set the device manufacturer to Generic and the Model to Generic PC/CC device with the midi channel set to 1. After that, everything functioned as seamlessly as expected. Thanks for a great project and great service. I added unit to my long list of Voodoo lab products that include a GCX, GCP, 2 pedal switchers, 4 different power supplies and now the PX-8 Plus. After years on and off the road, I still own all of my Voodoo Lab product and they have NEVER let me down.