HELP - GCX overheated and cut out?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Hollowstar_Phil

HELP - GCX overheated and cut out?

Post by Hollowstar_Phil » Tue May 28, 2019 4:45 am

Hi All,

Currently on a 7 date headline tour and had what seemed like the GCX audio switcher cut out mid set, just before a guitar solo... which is always fun.... :-/

Having very little time to figure out what was wrong, I unplugged the input jack from the GCX 'Guitar In' and then plugged it straight back into the Kemper and I suddenly had the signal back... so I'm assuming the issue lied somewhere within the GCX (rather than the Ground Control Pro as this was still able to switch channels etc on the Kemper).

I'm wondering if anyone has come across such an issue? My worry is, it worked fine the next day for the next gig so I'm thinking it may have been caused by overheating? It was a very hot and sweaty gig but I would think this could withstand such high temperatures (I'm still in the UK after all!!!).

There was no input signal showing on the Kemper when plugged into the 'Guitar In' on the GCX - and just before it cut out it seemed like my tone was sucked out for a few seconds and gradually just faded away to 0 signal.

Any insight would be great, at least I know what to do next time... but of course, it's not ideal!

Many thanks,
Phil Haines - Hollowstar

JohnClark

Re: HELP - GCX overheated and cut out?

Post by JohnClark » Tue May 28, 2019 10:33 am

Try plugging a guitar cable in and out of the front panel Feedthru jack a few times. This jack has what are known as "normaling pins" that route the buffered signal to the rear panel Feedthru jack when nothing is plugged in to the front panel Feedthu jack... I'm guessing that A. you use the rear panel Feedthru to route signal, and B. These normalling pins are making poor contact due to never really being used.

Otherwise I'd guess you may have a failing cable somewhere.

Let us know how it goes!

Hollowstar_Phil

Post by Hollowstar_Phil » Wed May 29, 2019 2:25 am

Thanks John - yes you're correct, using the rear panel feedthrough to route signal! Will give that a go and see how I get on. Like I say, the issue hasn't come up since but I'll do this and hopefully it never happens again! :)

Will let you know after the tour!

Hollowstar_Phil

Re: HELP - GCX overheated and cut out - again!

Post by Hollowstar_Phil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:02 am

Hi John,

So it happened again (even after I tried plugging into the feed through on the front a few times). It was yet again a really hot and sweaty gig... and I’m off to another tonight. Haven’t had chance to go through the cabling but it’s been working fine during sound check etc and then it’s just when I turn it all back on and this time it was only 4 songs in... but it was a seriously hot gig!

Plugged straight back into the kemper and got signal again so it definitely lies somewhere within the GCX and or it’s cabling!

Do you have any solutions on how I diagnose it quickly?

Many thanks,
Phil

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:25 pm

I assumed you use the rear panel Guitar Out jack for something else, but I should have asked...

1. If you do use the Rear Panel Guitar Out for anything, does it to drop signal when this happens?

2. If you do not use the Rear Panel Guitar Out, you should... this bypasses the path thru the front panel Feedthru jack I was mentioning above.