Setting GCX and GCP stereo with 2 amps and effect pedals

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
olliaimola

Setting GCX and GCP stereo with 2 amps and effect pedals

Post by olliaimola » Tue May 28, 2019 6:33 am

Hi!

I'm about to buy myself GCX and GCP. If someone could help me with the patching, I would appreciate it very much!

- I have 2 amps and would like to select one of them or select both of them. This is explained in the GCX manual page 9, but I have to be sure about it, so I'm gonna ask few dumb questions. Is it supposed to be mean that I plug my guitar from the front "guitar in" and then one cable goes from the rear "guitar out" to LOOP 1 in and from the rear "feed thru" cable to LOOP 2 in? Or do I need a splitter? How do I continue the patch from there? Do I then place the cable from LOOP 2 out to LOOP 3 in? I'll have effect pedals in the LOOPS 3-8.
- I have a KORG SDD-3000 pedal which is in stereo. I want that pedals left channel goes only to AMP 1 and right channel goes only to AMP 2. Is this possible?
- All the other effect pedals are mono so they could only go to AMP 1, but if it's easy or possible, the could go to both amps as well.

Does someone have knowledge to help me please? :)

Best regards,
Olli Aimola
Helsinki, Finland

JohnClark

Re: Setting GCX and GCP stereo with 2 amps and effect pedals

Post by JohnClark » Tue May 28, 2019 10:51 am

If you have pedals that will be in front of the amps that need to be available to either amp (or both amps at once), you will need a splitter of some sort. A buffered split would probably be best, or anything that transformer isolates one amp from the other, but a simple Y Cable (all ends Mono) will work to get things going.
I would probably put the amps in Loops 7 and 8 so there would be room (and easier wiring) in front of the amps. Here would be the connections I would start with...

1. Guitar to GCX Front Panel Guitar In.
2. GCX Rear Panel Guitar Out to GCX Loop 1 In.
3. Add your mono pedal effects starting at Loop 1.
4. You will need to connect the Out of a Loop to the In of the next Loop.
5. At the last mono pedal loop, connect the Out of the loop to the In of your Splitter.
6. Connect the "outs" of the splitter to Loop 7 In and Loop 8 In.

There are some options for how to handle the SDD-3000, but connecting it in full stereo may sometimes cause strange problems when used with only one amp. Also, do these amps have effects loops? If so, are either of them a parallel effects loop?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

olliaimola

Post by olliaimola » Tue May 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi!

Thank you very much for your reply! Do you have recommendation of specific splitter profuct/products for this occasion? My amps are ac30 and ac10. Ac30 has effect loop, ac10 does not. What kind of problems can Korg SDD-3000 cause?

Best regards,
Olli Aimola

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue May 28, 2019 5:07 pm

I do not have any specific suggestions for a splitter... sorry! I suppose we can see what we can get away with by using the SDD-300 as a split.

For the signal routing it looks like everything will be routed in front of the amps. This is probably easier anyway ;)
1. Connect the Out of the last GCX Loop for mono effects to the Mono Input of the SDD-3000.
2. Connect the two Outs of the SDD-3000 to the Ins of Loops 7 and 8.
3. Connect the Sends of Loops 7 and 8 to the Instrument Inputs of your two amps. When either, or both, of these Loops are On you will hear the connected amp.

The SDD-3000 is fully MIDI controllable so we should be able to make the Ground Control Pro control its Bypass State rather than having to connect it into GCX Loops like the other pedals.

Oh, and the trouble with connecting the SDD-3000 full stereo is that whenever you are playing only one amp your delays will need to be programmed for Mono use. If still set for stereo (like a ping pong delay) you will only hear one side of the stereo image.

olliaimola

Post by olliaimola » Tue May 28, 2019 7:59 pm

Thank you very much John!

Best regards,
Olli Aimola

olliaimola

Post by olliaimola » Wed May 29, 2019 2:04 am

Actually I have to ask: is it still possible to do the patching some different way? Is it possible not to use KORG SDD-3000 as a splitter and patch it into it's own loops in GCX and still manage manage to route it's L channel to AMP1 and R channel to AMP2? I'm just wondering if this option is possible with GCX? Asking this because actually it would be nice to bypass the KORG SDD-3000 from the signal route if I want to.

Thanks again very much!

- Olli Aimola

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu May 30, 2019 10:48 am

You can use two GCX Loops together to switch any stereo device, however in this case this pedal has its own true bypass setup (you do have to program it to use the bypass type you like) that is directly MIDI Controlled. There is no need to use up two GCX Loops when you can bypass the pedal using just the Ground Control Pro.

I hope that helps!