Installing control switcher

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Llheadri2

Installing control switcher

Post by Llheadri2 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi, we are setting up my rig and having a hard time getting the control switcher to work. We can’t get the ground control pro to communicate using either midi control change or as a gcx2 . We have tried factory resetting the switcher and going by the manual again with no luck. The goal is to use the control switcher to control my Mesa boogie road king channel functions in order to save loops on my gcx for actual audio loops .. all I have currently is the ground control pro, 1 gcx ( which set up fine), and the control switcher ( red button version by the way ) . And the control switcher is giving us problems ! Thanks in advance for your help!

JohnClark

Re: Installing control switcher

Post by JohnClark » Wed May 29, 2019 9:38 pm

After a factory reset, the Control Switcher should just auto configure itself in this rig. However, here are some things to be sure to try...

MIDI Connections
I'm not sure what other MIDI gear you may have, but at least for a test be sure to connect as follows:
1. Ground Control Pro MIDI Out to GCX Pedal In (If you use a MIDI Cable with all 5 pins wired here, the GCX will provide Phantom Power to the Ground Control)
2. GCX MIDI Out to Control Switcher MIDI In.

Setup Programming
On the Ground Control Pro you should make sure to enable GCX 1 and GCX 2 in Setup Mode under Expanders.

Power Sequence
Try to power up the Ground Control Pro last... if its Phantom Powered from the GCX, you can power the GCX last using its power switch. If you power the Ground Control Pro via its 2.5mm power jack then just plug that in last. Really, you just need to be sure the Control Switcher is on and connected via MIDI before the Ground Control Pro starts up.

This should set the Control Switcher to act as GCX #2, Loops 1-4.

Let us know how it goes!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------