Other Compatible midipedals that control the GCX

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
jarednreneau

Other Compatible midipedals that control the GCX

Post by jarednreneau » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:13 am

I'm currently trying to compile a list of compatible controllers for the GCX other than the ground control. I would like a midipedal that has an expression built into it already which makes setting up and gigging a breeze besides having to run all the loops and connection and power. The ground control would be in my sites but has no built in expression. So does anyone know of any other pedals that have worked for them or know of pedals that do other than the Ground Control?

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Re: Other Compatible midipedals that control the GCX

Post by Josh Fiden » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:52 pm

Sorry, I don't know of any MIDI foot controllers with an integrated expression pedal capable of controlling the GCX. Foot controllers for pro users are not configured this way. You give up the flexibility of selecting the expression pedal that feels right, and you can't put it where you want it. The usual solution is to mount both foot controller and expression pedal(s) on a board.

To control the GCX, a foot controller must have the capability of sending cc messages 80-87 on channel 16. Usually you want to send those messages with presets, as well as some instant access control.

If you find other controllers which can do this, please post them here!

Thanks,
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

jarednreneau

Post by jarednreneau » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:08 am

This is what it says in the manual of the Control 2 for the GSP1101.....

MIDI CC Send
In addition to controlling GSP processor parameters, you can configure the Control 2’s Expression Pedal and the CONTROL Footswitch to send MIDI CC (continuous controller) messages on the GSP’s MIDI channel to MIDI devices connected to your GSP’s MIDI Thru port. The Expression Pedal can act as a continuous control device, and the CONTROL Footswitch can act as a parameter toggle switch.

Does this mean i can go from midi thru(on GSP1101) to midi in(on the GCX) to control my amp channel switching?

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:58 am

jarednreneau wrote:This is what it says in the manual of the Control 2 for the GSP1101.....

MIDI CC Send
In addition to controlling GSP processor parameters, you can configure the Control 2’s Expression Pedal and the CONTROL Footswitch to send MIDI CC (continuous controller) messages on the GSP’s MIDI channel to MIDI devices connected to your GSP’s MIDI Thru port. The Expression Pedal can act as a continuous control device, and the CONTROL Footswitch can act as a parameter toggle switch.

Does this mean i can go from midi thru(on GSP1101) to midi in(on the GCX) to control my amp channel switching?
This is from the email I sent you 4 days ago...

"Hi Jared,

Using the Control 2 foot controller, the GSP1101 will only pass through the expression pedal and a single cc message from the CONTROL button. You would only be able to manually switch a single GCX loop on/off. To control the GCX, you need to be able to send out 8 cc messages with each preset..."

It will continue to mean exactly the same thing no matter how many times you ask. Please let me know if you don't understand the answer.

Regards,
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO