It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 preamps one power amp one multi effect with GCX help!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:19 pm 

Hi! Maybe this has been asked again but I really need to know cos I am this close to buy a GCX switcher, so I need an answer.(the diagrams didn't help me a lot sorry....)

I have an ADA MP 1 and a JMP 1 that I want to use one OR the other straight to a Gmajor 2( thats for both preamps) and then to a power amp(stereo use for both).
So, its guitar>A/B split signal to ADA OR JMP 1> Both to GMajor2>Stereo out from Gmajor to power amp>2 cabinets.
So, the idea is that I change preamps but the Gmajor stays always on straight to my power amp in stereo.I don't care if my power amps are stereo or mono though!(however stereo would be cool...)
Is that possible with one GCX and if it is can somebody explain to me the connections(er.... or draw a diagram????)
Thanks in advance!!!!!

Post subject: Re: 2 preamps one power amp one multi effect with GCX help!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

irmasil3 wrote:
...I have an ADA MP 1 and a JMP 1 that I want to use one OR the other straight to a Gmajor 2( thats for both preamps) and then to a power amp(stereo use for both).

Guitar into the GCX front panel GUITAR IN. Then the two rear panel outputs provide the split to each preamp input. The outputs of the two preamps go into the IN and RETURN of a GCX loop. The OUT of that loop drives the Gmajor.

This uses the front panel buffered input so you can drive both preamps without loading down your guitar pickups. The GCX loop is being used as an A/B selector.

Regards,

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:58 pm 

Okay Josh; I am very unfamiliar with these switch/looper units (and also midi). What about two stereo preamp/fx units (I have a Rocktron Chameleon and a Digitech GSP 1101) connected to one stereo power amp (Rocktron Velocity 250) and this power amp is connected to one Marshall (stereo) cab?
Right now, I have connected my guitar in the following way:

guitar-->gsp 1101-->left channel-->velocity (L)-->Marshall 1960A Cab (L)
-->right channel-->velocity (R)-->Marshall 1960A Cab (R)

Whenever I would like to use the Chameleon I just plug the patch-chords out of the gsp 1101 and then into the Chameleon (and of course I plug my guitar in the Chameleon).
But I would like to switch between the two preamp/fx units (not necessarily use them both at the same time); what do I need and how do I connect them?

With kind regards,

George

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 am 

Is anyone able to help me with the above scenario regarding two preamp/fx unit to one power amp (stereo connected)?
Thanks in advance,

George

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:04 am 

guitargeorge wrote:
Okay Josh; I am very unfamiliar with these switch/looper units (and also midi). What about two stereo preamp/fx units (I have a Rocktron Chameleon and a Digitech GSP 1101) connected to one stereo power amp (Rocktron Velocity 250) and this power amp is connected to one Marshall (stereo) cab?
Right now, I have connected my guitar in the following way:

guitar-->gsp 1101-->left channel-->velocity (L)-->Marshall 1960A Cab (L)
-->right channel-->velocity (R)-->Marshall 1960A Cab (R)

Whenever I would like to use the Chameleon I just plug the patch-chords out of the gsp 1101 and then into the Chameleon (and of course I plug my guitar in the Chameleon).
But I would like to switch between the two preamp/fx units (not necessarily use them both at the same time); what do I need and how do I connect them?

With kind regards,

George

For stereo switching you can simply use two GCX loops to A/B the stereo outputs of your preamps. One loop would a/B the Left channel and the other loop would A/B the right channel.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:07 am 

You might also want to go to the Voodoo Lab Main site and click on the GCX Audio Switcher link on the left side.

At the bottom of the page you'll find a number of signal routing diagrams. Take a look at Number Four.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:36 pm 

Thank you for your responses (JohnClark en Nyteowl), but I'm afraid that the answers are not clear to me.
Nyteowl; I did check the diagrams of the Voodoo-lab site, but they are not clear to me. For example; what happens with the L +R outputs of the JMP-1?
What I am looking for is someone who can tell me in sesame street language how to connect all the wiring.

For example; can I do the following:

1) Guitar to GCX Guitar Input
2) GCX Guitar Out to Chameleon input
3) GCX Feed Thru to GSP1101 input
4) Chameleon right output to loop 1 input
5) Chameleon left output to loop 5 input
6) GSP1101 right output to loop 1 return jack
7) GSP1101 left output to loop 5 return jack
8) loop 1 output to right power amp input (Channel 2 on Velocity)
9) loop 5 output to left power amp input (Channel 1 on Velocity)

The question is: Can the GCX (somehow) work in stereo-pairs? So when only hitting one switch it will switch both loops.
With this set up I hope to realize the following:
Loop Off = Chameleon (activate the RETURN signal)
Loop ON = GSP1101 (activate INPUT signal)

Does this make sense or not at all?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:41 pm 

guitargeorge wrote:
Thank you for your responses (JohnClark en Nyteowl), but I'm afraid that the answers are not clear to me.
Nyteowl; I did check the diagrams of the Voodoo-lab site, but they are not clear to me. For example; what happens with the L +R outputs of the JMP-1?
What I am looking for is someone who can tell me in sesame street language how to connect all the wiring.

For example; can I do the following:

1) Guitar to GCX Guitar Input
2) GCX Guitar Out to Chameleon input
3) GCX Feed Thru to GSP1101 input
4) Chameleon right output to loop 1 input
5) Chameleon left output to loop 5 input
6) GSP1101 right output to loop 1 return jack
7) GSP1101 left output to loop 5 return jack
8) loop 1 output to right power amp input (Channel 2 on Velocity)
9) loop 5 output to left power amp input (Channel 1 on Velocity)

The question is: Can the GCX (somehow) work in stereo-pairs? So when only hitting one switch it will switch both loops.
With this set up I hope to realize the following:
Loop Off = Chameleon (activate the RETURN signal)
Loop ON = GSP1101 (activate INPUT signal)

Does this make sense or not at all?

No explanation needed... You got it! That is exactly how you would connect these preamps for a stereo A/B.
The Ground Control Pro presets will control the state of all the loops in a GCX at once. For each Ground Control Pro preset you will select what preamp should be active by programming Loops 1 and 5 to be on or off... you can even get crazy and have the left and right sides be opposite preamps if you like. The Ground Control Pro presets will also select the patches on your two MIDI preamps so you always have the preamp you want with the sound you want that preamp to have, all with one button push.

All that is left now is to RAWK!