Quick-ish question - Please help

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
zaulkin

Quick-ish question - Please help

Post by zaulkin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi guys.

I have two quick questions that really need a quick response if possible!

1. Can I use the Line 6 M9 as a midi controller to control the Voodoo Labs pedal switcher (as well as using the m9 for effects)? It has 7 buttons (6 stomps and a tap tempo). Does that mean each one would control two presets (1/6 2/7 3/8 etc like the commander does?) Any tips on setting that up?

2. If that doesn't work, I'd like to use a different foot controller with the PedalSwitcher. The one I'd like to use is a Boss FC-50. ( http://www.music-sales.ch/Equipment%20L ... alfc50.jpg )

I assume you can only have 1 bank of 10 presets with the VL commander. Will I be able to use the bank up/down functions of the FC-50 or will I be limited to 10 presets only?

Thanks in advance!!

JohnClark

Re: Quick-ish question - Please help

Post by JohnClark » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:11 pm

In order to control the Pedal Switcher from a MIDI source other than a Voodoo Lab/DMC controller, you would first need to send the following hex SysEx string:

F0 00 00 07 01 08 10 F7

This will force the Pedal Switcher to emulate the first four loops of GCX #1 which would be Control Change messages 80-83 on MIDI Channel 16. Your controller will need to be able to send all four control Change messages at once in order to have preset style control.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

zaulkin

Post by zaulkin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Hey John, thanks for the reply.

Is it normal when setting up a midi controlled rig, that you have to send "hex SysEx strings" to get the two devices working properly? Are all midi controllers made to be able to do that?

Do you think I will be able to use the bank up/down functions on my controller?

Cheers

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:12 am

The Pedal Switcher does not necessarily have presets when used with a controller other than the Commander. It is your controller that will simply send the on or off command for each loop on the Pedal Switcher. If you wanted a preset on your controller to turn Loops 1 and 3 on then you would need to send the following Control Change messages on MIDI channel 16:

CC 80 data 127
CC 81 data 0
CC 82 data 127
CC 83 data 0

I hope that helps!

zaulkin

Post by zaulkin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Hey John.

Thanks for your reply. It's all getting quite complicated.

Just a few more quick questions:

1. Have you ever tried connecting an RJM Mastermind controller? Do they work well together/will it be easier to program as compared with any old midi controller?

2. If you were to use a VoodooLab Pedalswitcher just by itself - when you have a loop on for example loop 1, and then press the button for loop 2, would you then have both loops on or does loop 1 get turned off in favour of loop 2? i.e. Does it combine the two loops or does it a/b between them?

Thanks!!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:39 am

1. I have not used a Mastermind Controller, but I do see that one of its bullet points is that it can send up to eight Control Change messages per preset... a single pedal switcher will require four Control Change messages for preset style control. You will have to check with RJM about the ability to send the necessary SysEx message to get the Pedal Switcher into GCX emulation mode as mentioned previously.

2. There is no preset logic in the Pedal Switcher when used alone. The numbered buttons are simple on/off switches tied to the same numbered loop. If you turn a loop on, it will stay on until you pres that loop's button a second time.

I hope that clarifies things.

P.S. A Commander will allow you to control an unlimited number of Pedal Switchers while also sending out a single Program Change with each preset to recall patches on your other MIDI gear. ;)

mts17116

Post by mts17116 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:28 am

Hi John, This is an old thread but hopefully the data is still valid. I have a pretty sophisticated set of controllers that allow complicated strings, so above isn't scary but I do have a couple questions.

First, do I need to sent the sys ex string every time or just once? If just once, does it stay in that state or is it lost when I power off?

Second, do I need to send all four strings for all of the switch states or can I send only the changes?

e.g Can I simply send "CC 80 data 127" to turn switch 1 "on" if that's the only one I want changed?

Thanks!

Mike

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:00 pm

mts17116 wrote:Hi John, This is an old thread but hopefully the data is still valid. I have a pretty sophisticated set of controllers that allow complicated strings, so above isn't scary but I do have a couple questions.

First, do I need to sent the sys ex string every time or just once? If just once, does it stay in that state or is it lost when I power off?

Second, do I need to send all four strings for all of the switch states or can I send only the changes?

e.g Can I simply send "CC 80 data 127" to turn switch 1 "on" if that's the only one I want changed?

Thanks!

Mike
Hello,

Yes, this is all still valid information ;)

The SysEx message would need to be sent at least after every power up. The Pedal Switcher will not retain this setting once powered down.
However, there is no problem sending the SysEx message every time you wish to address the Pedal Switcher.

You do not have to send all four Control Change messages at once. This is only required if you want preset style control. You can certainly control single loops independently.

I hope that helps!

mts17116

Post by mts17116 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi John, Mike again... as fate would have it, I need to bring an old GCX back into service in the system... <sigh> I think I know the answer, but is there any way to have both the Pedal Switcher and the GCX be on the same midi chain or is the CC conflict between first 4 switches hard wired?

Hopefully awaiting a minor miracle... Thanks!!

Mike

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:52 am

mts17116 wrote:Hi John, Mike again... as fate would have it, I need to bring an old GCX back into service in the system... <sigh> I think I know the answer, but is there any way to have both the Pedal Switcher and the GCX be on the same midi chain or is the CC conflict between first 4 switches hard wired?

Hopefully awaiting a minor miracle... Thanks!!

Mike
As long as you are sending the SysEx message described above, you can use multiple switchers in the same rig.
That SysEx message will tell each Voodoo Lab switcher what it's position is in the MIDI Path. So if you run the MIDI from your controller into the Pedal Switcher MIDI In and from the Pedal Switcher MIDI Out to the GCX Pedal In... The Pedal Switcher will act as "GCX #1" (Control Change 80-83 on MIDI Channel 16) and the GCX will act as "GCX #2" (Control Change 88-95 on MIDI Channel 16).

I hope that helps!