GCX Delay trails with NON MIDI delay.

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Levi_Beaudette

GCX Delay trails with NON MIDI delay.

Post by Levi_Beaudette » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am

I'm currently running a board with all Voodoo Gear, but I'm going to be switching to a rack system soon, and I'd like to keep my delay trails. Will the setup I drew up work with the GCX? I can make Y cables if necessary to make it work, but I need delay trails for the groups I'm performing with.
Attachments
Scan 1.jpg
Scan 1.jpg (46.48 KiB) Viewed 2745 times

a2dconverter

Re: GCX Delay trails with NON MIDI delay.

Post by a2dconverter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Hey Levi,

There are only a few ways to get delay trails is to run a parallel path in your FX loop...here are two

OPTION 1

Here is a pic that is worth a thousand words...

You can use a standard mixer with FX SEND bus or any of the available splitter/ mixer made for guitar rigs.

OPTION 2

This option will require you to get out your soldering iron...

You can use a TECH21 BOOST D.L.A. that has a built in mixer for trails. The only drawback is that there is no remote control or MIDI to bypass the delay....

If you crack open the TECH21 and Wire a 1/4" JACK in Parallel with the BYPASS footswitch you can control the DELAY ON/OFF with a spare GCX momentary loop...

The bonus is that the Boost D.L.A has a clean boost that you can use to "goose" your solos (if you want to!)

I hope this helps

seeya

Joe
Last edited by a2dconverter on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Levi_Beaudette

Post by Levi_Beaudette » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Wouldn't the "Send" loop already act as a splitter? Because it would route the signal to the send of the first loop, through the delay, to the return of the "Return" loop, and then out to the amps effects return. The two loop would be connected BUT no signal would go through there because there is no jack in the return of the first loop, or the send of the second loop. You would just leave the second loop on to accept both the wet delay signal and the dry guitar signal. Maybe somebody from Voodoo themselves could weigh in on this and help us out.

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:47 am

Levi_Beaudette wrote:Wouldn't the "Send" loop already act as a splitter? Because it would route the signal to the send of the first loop, through the delay, to the return of the "Return" loop, and then out to the amps effects return. The two loop would be connected BUT no signal would go through there because there is no jack in the return of the first loop, or the send of the second loop. You would just leave the second loop on to accept both the wet delay signal and the dry guitar signal. Maybe somebody from Voodoo themselves could weigh in on this and help us out.
No, the "Send" loop won't act as a splitter because it is not splitting the signal, but rather routing it through either the Send jack or the Out jack. It cannot be routed through both at the same time, whereas the splitter shown in Joe's first drawing is sending a dry signal to both the mixer and to Loop 5 simultaneously.

What type of delay are you using?
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

Levi_Beaudette

Post by Levi_Beaudette » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:15 pm

Right now an EH Memory Toy. But I plan on getting a TC Flashback.