GCX Relays not working.

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
gsdev

GCX Relays not working.

Post by gsdev » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:50 am

I have a GCX and GCP. Recently the GCX has stopped working properly. I can see the indicator lights on the front of the GCX light up when I press the corresponding GCP switch. However, a lot of the time the loop does not engage. This started with a couple loops and is now happening with most. The signal does not cut out, so I don't think it's bad cables. It just behaves as though the loop is not engaged at all. If I disengage and re-engage it several times, eventually it will engage, but there is no rhyme or reason to it. Then the next time I engage it, it doesn't work again.

Is there a proper way to troubleshoot this? Can it be fixed? I am using a Pedal Power to power it. I would think that would be good power.

JohnClark

Re: GCX Relays not working.

Post by JohnClark » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 am

Which Pedal Power model are you using? Do you get the same problem when using the 9VAC adapter supplied with the GCX?

gsdev

Post by gsdev » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:55 am

It is a 4X4. I will have to do some digging to find the original power supply. I haven't used it in ages. Is there information anywhere on the preferred method for using a 4X4?

The thing that worries me is that it worked solidly for 6 months in this specific configuration.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:54 am

Wow! I am surprised this works at all!

What is likely happening here is that the GCX is not in fact getting enough power. Particularly when you are also phantom powering the Ground Control Pro. What output are you using on the 4x4?

Also, where did you get the the 4 Pin DIN cable you are currently using?

Normally we recommend powering the GCX from the Pedal Power AC and the 4 Pin DIN cable we sell is specifically for use with the Pedal Power AC.

That said, the GCX will actually accept AC or DC, but with DC power it will need 12V. The combination of the GCX and Ground Control Pro will still require more than 400mA. You should able to get away with powering the GCX and Ground Control Pro from the 4x4 if you use a Current Doubler Adapter connected to both high current 12V outputs together with a 4 Pin DIN cable that has a 2.1mm plug.

gsdev

Post by gsdev » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:52 pm

I got the connector from Sweetwater. It's made by Voodoo Lab. I know I have it plugged into at least one 12V high current and I thought i was using a doubler with both 12V high current, but now I am not so sure. I will check this evening and get back to you.

Thanks!

gsdev

Post by gsdev » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:06 pm

One other question if you don't mind.

I specifically wanted to have the GCX on the Pedal Power because it would be getting the same power as the pedals it will be routing to. If I go back to the factory power supply for the GCX and have the pedals running from the Pedal Power, could there be resulting hum? Also, I am using the GCX buffer. I don't know if that plays into it at all.

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:35 am

For what it's worth, I have always used the OEM power supply for my GCX which, in turn, powered my GCPro. I've also always used a separate power supply - usually a One Spot, but of late I've been using a GigRig Generator with a GigRig Distributor package - to power any pedals I had connected to my GCX. Following this method, I have never experienced any hum issues.
I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I have. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.

gsdev

Post by gsdev » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:38 pm

nyteowl wrote:For what it's worth, I have always used the OEM power supply for my GCX which, in turn, powered my GCPro. I've also always used a separate power supply - usually a One Spot, but of late I've been using a GigRig Generator with a GigRig Distributor package - to power any pedals I had connected to my GCX. Following this method, I have never experienced any hum issues.
You must play classy places with clean power. There is one venue in particular that I play that can't be overcome with a power conditioner and a Pedal Power. As a consolation, the opening bands usually plug their amps straight into the wall, so I sound quiet by comparison.

gsdev

Post by gsdev » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:41 pm

JohnClark wrote:Wow! I am surprised this works at all!

What is likely happening here is that the GCX is not in fact getting enough power. Particularly when you are also phantom powering the Ground Control Pro. What output are you using on the 4x4?

Also, where did you get the the 4 Pin DIN cable you are currently using?

Normally we recommend powering the GCX from the Pedal Power AC and the 4 Pin DIN cable we sell is specifically for use with the Pedal Power AC.

That said, the GCX will actually accept AC or DC, but with DC power it will need 12V. The combination of the GCX and Ground Control Pro will still require more than 400mA. You should able to get away with powering the GCX and Ground Control Pro from the 4x4 if you use a Current Doubler Adapter connected to both high current 12V outputs together with a 4 Pin DIN cable that has a 2.1mm plug.

I don't know why it worked for a while and then stopped, but switching back to the original supply fixed everything right up. Thanks John!

Just Mike

Post by Just Mike » Sun May 12, 2019 6:42 am

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem. Loops 1-4 relays are not engaging. I can hear relays 5-8 click when selected, but nothing on 1-4. They are all set to normal operation and I'm using the Pedal Power AC PSU. Could this be hardware or programming that's causing this?