Issue with my Voodoo Lab Control Switcher/MIDI/Nova System

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
vlady

Issue with my Voodoo Lab Control Switcher/MIDI/Nova System

Post by vlady » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:03 pm

I have been using a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher to MIDI switch my Mesa Dual Rectifier via a TC Electronic Nova System for a while now, however the last 2 weeks I’ve been experiencing strange issues with the switcher.

It wasn’t switching amp channels at my last rehearsal, so I tried to resave all of my presets by switching to the appropriate patch on the Nova System then selecting the proper channel on the Switcher, then saving it by holding 1 and 4 down. This fixed the issue the first time.

The last 2 rehearsals I had similar issues, where I turned my rig on and again the Switcher wasn’t changing channels. However, when I tried to re-save the patches by holding down 1 and 4, nothing would happen. I couldn’t save any new patches, and had to return to using my amp footswitch to complete rehearsal. I was able to manually change the amp channels by pressing the corresponding relays, but it would not allow me to save them.

We have a high profile Christmas show this Saturday evening and I’m concerned that I won’t be able to rely on the Control Switcher, thus losing my ability to run my rig like normal. I’m powering the Control Switcher off my Voodoo Lab ISO5, however I also tried using the stock wall wart and no change.

JohnClark

Re: Issue with my Voodoo Lab Control Switcher/MIDI/Nova Syst

Post by JohnClark » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Since it seems that it is currently is not accepting Program Changes, have you checked that the Control Switcher is still set to receive Program Changes?

Does your Control Switcher have Red or Black buttons?

vlady

Post by vlady » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:17 am

It has black buttons

How do i set it to receive program changes if it's not already doing so?

It worked flawlessly for a long time and i didnt change anything when it stopped working properly. Like i said, it won't even allow me to save anything when it's not functioning properly. If i press 1 and 4 together it will just turn 1 or 4 on/off.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:16 am

I am sure it was once properly programmed, but your description of its current behavior makes it sound as if it is not detecting any incoming Program Change message. It shouldn't have changed on its own, but it is worth checking that it is currently still set to the proper MIDI Channel and that Program Changes are enabled.
Of course you will also want to check that your MIDI connection is good and that your controller is still sending the proper MIDI messages on the intended MIDI Channel.

For a Control Switcher with the Black Buttons you would do as follows...

-MIDI Channel
1. With the Control Switcher powered down, Press-and-Hold Button #2 then power up the Control Switcher.
2. LED #2 will flash until you release Button #2.
3. LEDs 1 -4 indicate the MIDI Channel. You'll likely want to check the Control Switcher (black buttons) manual for the chart, but all LEDs off is MIDI Channel 1 and all LEDs on is MIDI Channel 16.
4. Remove power from the Control Switcher.

-Program Change Enable
1. With the Black Button Control Switcher powered down, Press-and-Hold Button #3 then power up the Control Switcher.
2. LED #3 will flash until you release Button #3.
3. LED 1 indicates Program Change. If it is off, press Button #1 to turn it on.

Let us know what you find!

1adamkr1

Post by 1adamkr1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:44 am

I'm having the same problem, have been searching for an answer.

I'm running the Control Switcher with a Hotone Cybery to control my Mesa Lonestar.

As far as I tell, the CS is set up ok, set to receive PC messages, and set to channel 16.

My L6 M5 is receiving the PC messages ok, but I cannot save the settings on the CS. the lights do not flash when I press buttons 1 & 4.

It's the version where the buttons are red.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or do I need to send it back (UK Based)

Adam

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:43 am

1adamkr1 wrote:I'm having the same problem, have been searching for an answer.

I'm running the Control Switcher with a Hotone Cybery to control my Mesa Lonestar.

As far as I tell, the CS is set up ok, set to receive PC messages, and set to channel 16.

My L6 M5 is receiving the PC messages ok, but I cannot save the settings on the CS. the lights do not flash when I press buttons 1 & 4.

Adam
The Lights not flashing when you attempt to save indicates that the Control Switcher has not received a Program Change on the MIDI Channel it is set to receive.

What is the MIDI path for this setup? What MIDI Channel is the M5 set to receive?

Also, the instructions above were for the black button Control Switcher. To set a Red Button Control Switcher to receive MIDI Program Change on MIDI Channel 16 you would do the following...

-Program Change Enable
1. With the Red Button Control Switcher powered down, Press-and-Hold Button #1 then power up the Control Switcher.
2. All LEDs will flash until you release Button #1.

-MIDI Channel
1. With the Control Switcher powered down, Press-and-Hold Button #2 then power up the Control Switcher.
2. All LEDs will flash until you release Button #2.
3. LEDs 1 -4 indicate the MIDI Channel. Set all LEDs to ON for MIDI Channel 16.

1adamkr1

Post by 1adamkr1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:16 am

JohnClark wrote:
1adamkr1 wrote:I'm having the same problem, have been searching for an answer.

Adam
The Lights not flashing when you attempt to save indicates that the Control Switcher has not received a Program Change on the MIDI Channel it is set to receive.

What is the MIDI path for this setup? What MIDI Channel is the M5 set to receive?

Also, the instructions above were for the black button Control Switcher. To set a Red Button Control Switcher to receive MIDI Program Change on MIDI Channel 16 you would do the following...

-Program Change Enable
1. With the Red Button Control Switcher powered down, Press-and-Hold Button #1 then power up the Control Switcher.
2. All LEDs will flash until you release Button #1.

-MIDI Channel
2. All LEDs will flash until you release Button #2.
3. LEDs 1 -4 indicate the MIDI Channel. Set all LEDs to ON for MIDI Channel 16.
Bingo, it was the program change enable, I hadn't found the instructions for the red button version!

You're an angel John, thank you.