Ground Control Pro, GCX switchers, G Major 2, & TriAxis

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
llpcode

Ground Control Pro, GCX switchers, G Major 2, & TriAxis

Post by llpcode » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:40 am

I want to connect and program a Ground Control Pro to (2) GCX switchers, (1) ISP Decimeter (Stereo), (1) TC G-Major 2, (1) Mesa Boogie TriAxis and (1) Mesa Boogie 2:90 amp.

Purpose is to be able to select G-Major program with selected TriAxis program, while also being able to select any of the 18 pedals. (EDIT: There are two sets of pedals in series, which make the 18 pedals look like 16 pedals)

BTW - Input is one channel of the ISP Decimeter and then into various boost/overdrive/distortion type pedals (Controlled by GCX #1) directly into input of the TriAxis preamp, with one dry signal into one channel (Left) of the Rane 26S mixer and then into the second set of echo/flange/tremelo pedals on the second GCX then into the G-Major 2 feeding into one channel (Right) into another channel of the Rane 26S mixer, then into the second channel of the ISP Decimeter and finally into the 2:90 amp (Which feeds 2 Mesa cabinets).

Wiring sequence & schematic would be appreciated as will programing information.

:?:
Last edited by llpcode on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyteowl

Re: Ground Control Pro, GCX switchers, G Major 2, & TriAxis

Post by nyteowl » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:12 pm

llpcode wrote:I want to connect and program a Ground Control Pro to (2) GCX switchers, (1) ISP Decimeter (Stereo), (1) TC G-Major 2, (1) Mesa Boogie TriAxis and (1) Mesa Boogie 2:90 amp.

Purpose is to be able to select G-Major program with selected TriAxis program, while also being able to select any of the 18 pedals.

:? :?
You're talking about controlling 18 pedals here, but each GCX unit has only 8 loops, for a grand total of 16 loops altogether. Is there something about your signal chain you haven't shared with us, like which two pedals aren't being connected to a GCX?
For Sale: Original DMC GCX in Excellent Condition ($275) and a far more versatile SoundSculpture GL also in Excellent Condition ($1750). Free CONUS Shipping.

llpcode

Post by llpcode » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:08 pm

nyteowl wrote:
llpcode wrote:I want to connect and program a Ground Control Pro to (2) GCX switchers, (1) ISP Decimeter (Stereo), (1) TC G-Major 2, (1) Mesa Boogie TriAxis and (1) Mesa Boogie 2:90 amp.

Purpose is to be able to select G-Major program with selected TriAxis program, while also being able to select any of the 18 pedals.

:? :?
You're talking about controlling 18 pedals here, but each GCX unit has only 8 loops, for a grand total of 16 loops altogether. Is there something about your signal chain you haven't shared with us, like which two pedals aren't being connected to a GCX?
Yes, two different pedals are combined into two sets each linked together, which make the 16 connections total usable.

llpcode

Post by llpcode » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:05 pm

OK, so I removed one of the GCX and now only have 4 pedals connected to one GCX.

Where I keep running into a problem is configuring the TriAxis to (MIDI) Program 1 and being able to select different Channels on that unit and configuring the G-Major 2 to (MIDI) Program 2 and being able to select different Channels on that unit, all the while being able to still select pedals on the GCS.

I have the GCP set up as 4-Presets/Bank Mode.

I can not figure out what to do and neither Mesa Boogie's or TC Electronic manuals are much help - I can not figure out G-Major MOD information nor TriAxis Program stuff...

John Clark - HELP Please!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:25 pm

The Ground Control Pro presets will control the Triaxis and the G-Major 2 at the same time using MIDI Program Change messages. For instance, Preset 01 could be programmed to recall Triaxis patch #28 and G-Major 2 patch #95.

Have you named the Triaxis and G-Major 2 as MIDI devices within the Ground Control Pro and assigned each one its own MIDI Channel?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

llpcode

Post by llpcode » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:39 pm

JohnClark wrote:The Ground Control Pro presets will control the Triaxis and the G-Major 2 at the same time using MIDI Program Change messages. For instance, Preset 01 could be programmed to recall Triaxis patch #28 and G-Major 2 patch #95.

Have you named the Triaxis and G-Major 2 as MIDI devices within the Ground Control Pro and assigned each one its own MIDI Channel?
Yes - TriAxis is named TRIX1 and G Major 2 is named GM2

Midi runs into TriAxis then out to the G Major 2

(I disconnected the (2) GCX to get this rig up and running)

TriAxis Programs (2) are selected on the Triaxis and select preamps 1 and 5 respectively
G Major 2 Programs (5) are selected for various G Major presets 1, 7, 10, 77, & 78 respectively

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:40 pm

When you go into edit a Ground Control Pro preset, are you able to control each device individually when its name is displayed on the screen?

1. Call up a Ground Control Pro preset.
2. Press and hold the Edit button.
3. On the "TRIX1" screen does entering in a patch number using the smaller numbered buttons make the Triaxis respond?
4. Press the Bank Down button to get to the "GM2" screen... does entering in a patch number using the smaller numbered buttons make the G-Major 2 respond?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------