It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making A Complicated Rig With The GCX
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:26 am 

Hi.

My name is Espen and i am from Norway.
I have just bought my self a used Ground Control Pro unit and two GCX! And I am hoping that I finally will get to setup my bass rig the way I want.

I do have some questions when it comes to how i should do my rig.
I have taken the time to use the GCX worksheet to make something I think could work, but it would be nice to get some input from the you guys.

To start with, let me tell you a little about my rig and what I am trying to do here.

I have 2 Amps, one 4x10 cab run by a Hartke HA5500, and one 1X15 run bye another Hartke HA5500. I split my signal so that I have clean and some effects in one amp and clean and some other effects in the other amp.

What I want to do, is to split my signal in to 3 lines. One with clean bass, one with effects and one with some other effects. And here comes the tricky part, I want to be able to run each line into both amps.

I think my setup on the worksheet will work. However, my question is basically this: Will I get a problem merging the split signal from loop 1 and loop 7/8 in the last boss ls-2 before the amp?

I do not know if any of this makes any sense to you guys, but I am hoping for an answer.
Sorry for the bad picture. It was the best I could do. The file was to large in a higher res.

Just for some information. The boss pedals will be in the A+B mode and always ON. So all my switching between amps and sound happens on my Ground Control Pro.

Attachments:
blank_gcx_worksheet-page-001.jpg
blank_gcx_worksheet-page-001.jpg [ 152.33 KiB | Viewed 757 times ]

Post subject: Re: Making A Complicated Rig With The GCX
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:19 am 

I'll admit... you lost me!

Have you had any luck with this?

As a starting point, I would suggest running the wireless receiver as follows...
1. Output of the Wireless to GCX #1 Rear Panel Feedthru.
2. GCX #1 Front Panel Feedthru to GCX #2 Guitar In.
3. GCX #2 Rear Panel Guitar Out to GCX #1 Loop 1 In.
4. GCX #2 Rear Panel Feedthru to GCX #2 Loop 1 In.

This will allow you to send the wireless signal to both of you effects chains and have the ability to plug in using a cable in case the wireless goes down for some reason... simply pull the cable going to the GCX #2 Guitar In and plug your bass in to bypass the wireless.

After that, well that is where I get lost ;) I think you are attempting to use the LS-2s in place of a mixer maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:40 am 

Well, I finally got to put it all together, and you know what? IT WORKS!

The rig still have some bugs but all in all it works. And you are right about me using the Boss LS-2 as a mixer, so I may get another form of mixer to mix it all together later, but this works for now.

I did what you suggested about connecting my wireless. But my problem now is where to connect the rack-tuner? I was hoping not to use a loop for this, since I have used them all for effects. And it seems I cant get a signal out of the front panel feed trough of the GCX #2.

I also have a problem with some noise in my GCX #2, but I haven't pulled out my homemade cabals and then tried, so ill have to do that and see if I can locate the source of the noise. But the noise is interfering with the rack-tuner as well. So I thought o would get a tip to where I should connect it and what I could expect before I start to find the source of the noise.

So, in short... Where do I connect the rack-tuner?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:47 am 

Hagen wrote:
So, in short... Where do I connect the rack-tuner?

In my system, i wire the tuner after the wireless, and then output from the tuner into the feedthru on the back of the GCX... Like this

Wireless > Tuner > Into Feedthru of GCX..... That's the simplest way.

As you say, you could put the tuner into a loop and have silent tuning, but in my mind that just wastes a loop. In my rig, i've got a volume pedal, and because I have the tuner after the wireless but before anything else, when i take the volume down I still have silent tuning. My volume pedal is being utilised as an expression pedal on my G-Force processor so reduces the volume on that unit..

Sometimes the most simplest solutions are often the best.

Edit: Just had a thought that you may think that having signal going through the tuner all the time will suck tone... I've never had any issue with it and know a fair few professional guitarists that have it rigged this way with no discernible difference in tone..

David Gilmour