It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: back in rack heaven
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:25 am 

Very cool.

I'm building a rack set that's a bit similar to yours, so I'll be looking into the thread from time to time ;)

My setup is (also Gilmour/Floyd fan here):

Guitar (mainly Strat with EMG DG-20) --> Wah (Cry-Baby) --> Buffer --> Rack

Rack: GCX with 8 pedals in loops: Whammy, Demeter Compulator, Tube Screamer, Chandler Tube Driver, BYOC Large Beaver (Muff clone), EHX Small Clone, Boss EQ7, Boss CE-5
From there into my G-Force unit and then out.
Power comes from Voodoo Pedal Plus 2 and Samson PowerBrite PB10.
Expression (volume and whammy and maybe more is done with 2 expression pedals - Ernie Ball)
So it's a lot like your system.

What pedals are you going to be using?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:46 am 

I'm building my own pedals, I have exact trace copies of the circuit boards, i'm going to etch my own boards, and solder the components....

Colorsound power boost 18v version - For this I have copied exactly the circuit board from a version 1 power boost, and I've managed to source all the period correct components including the tropical fish caps. I just need to etch the board.

This is my pcb layout http://www.freestompboxes.org/download/file.php?id=28564

Rams Head big muff - This is going to be copied from the circuit from this web site http://www.kitrae.net/music/Images_Secret_Music_Page/KR_V2_74_no_3_schematic.jpg

Again i'm going to source as best I can vintage correct parts.

Silicon Fuzz Face - This is a direct copy as used by Gilmour at Pompeii.... Again vintage correct parts, so I'll be using carbon comp resistors, etc....

I'm undecided whether to buy an electric mistress or make one.... I have the circuit diagram for a 18v mistress, so may use that. but sourcing the parts is not easy, especially the SAD1024 chip. So I may just buy a clone kit.

My wah already has the reverse wah mod for the seagull effect for echoes.

I may also at some time buy a catlinbread Echorec pedal..... they are brilliant, and a great alternative for a vintage sound delay. Especially for early floyd stuff

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:11 am 

Wow!!!

Very very cool indeed.

Looking forward to updates in your thread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:12 am 

Update 27/03/2017

Wiring this has been like pulling teeth. I purchased 25 straight Neutrik jacks and 10 angled Neutrik jacks, I also ordered 60ft of Tour Grade Van Damme instrument cable, and 30ft of Tour Grade Van Damme speaker cable. Following the issues I had with my last rack as regards * wiring, bad cable, and even worse jack plugs i'm sparing no expense with this one.

I have 2 racks cases. 1 has the power amp, and the other has all the other goodies... The large rack will sit on top of the amp case, so all will be nice and tidy. The power conditioner will supply power to both the main rack and the power amp, therefor the patch panels in both cases have been designed with all this in mind.

Both patch panels have been terminated with Neutrik Powercon and Speakon sockets, and therefore all power and speaker cables have been terminated with the respective Powercon and Speakon plugs. All jack sockets in both patch panels are locking sockets, the only socket that isn't is the midi socket.

In the main rack all power cables have been routed to the left hand side of the case looking from the back, and all the signal cables are now being routed to the right. All cables will be cable tied and secured with cable tie sticky pads. As a side note, my good friend Robbie Gladwell is going to be checking the system over for electrical safety, and will probably issue a PAT test cert to show it's been checked and tested as OK.

What have Learned so far in this build..... for one, patience is a bonus waiting for things to turn up.

The main thing is have a good soldering iron. I have been waiting nearly a week for a new soldering iron to be delivered, after I was struggling with a cheap £10 ($14) soldering iron I got off EBay.... Don't waste your money. I spent around £40 for a cheap digital soldering iron and the difference is night and day. You can set the temperature, (and in my case I bought a soldering iron thermometer so i could calibrate the iron.... Good job, as it was set to 350c but the thermometer read it as 410c). It gets to temperature in a not to bad, 30 seconds.

I now no longer have to wait 3 hours for my cheapo stick soldering iron to get warm enough to melt the solder....... And even when it was at it's maximum heat it wasn't enough, and I had to wait long enough for a beard to grow to melt the solder.....

Secondly test, test and test again. Get a multimeter... You can't solder without one, a cheap one will do. You only really want it for continuity and they all do that. I thought I'd been quite anal about testing after soldering, but had forgotten to test a particular cable... It was only my son jokingly saying "have you tested them.... to make sure they work" so I thought, I'll just test it again.. I found a solder joint that failed on the multimeter...

I'm thinking about spending the money and getting a cable tester to keep in my gig bag to make things a little easier,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SoundLAB-Universal-Sound-Jack-Audio-Leads-Professional-Use-Cable-Tester-11-Type-/322385823271?hash=item4b0fb14627:g:MPwAAOSw9GhYdKyB

They're great and after i saw one working I wanted one.

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:44 am 

Multimeter over a Cable Tester IMHO. Not to poo poo any particular brand, but in general cable testers are somewhat notorious for giving false positives. If you have a multimeter you can test any cable for end to end continuity as well as for any load across the cable rather than relying on a "red light/green light" test.

Just my $0.02. ;)