It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two amps and a rack delay
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:58 am 

Hi ev'rybody!

I'm actually quite happy with my current rig. I run some pedals through the gcx and control the output to my two amps with the loops 7 and 8. I control everything with the help of a GCP in pedal mode.

But.... I somehow feel like getting one of these fancy rack delays (TC D-Two) and include that to my rig. I would like to send the delay signal to both amps or to one at a time. I would like to control the output to the amps like before.

To make things a bit more interesting: the delay should be possibly taken out of the signal chain using a loop or two of the GCX.

And: My amps don't have any FX Loops and everything should be in front of the amps.

How can I do that? Any ideas?

Please?

Post subject: Re: Two amps and a rack delay
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:37 pm 

I would suggest running this like any other pedal in front of your amp, since there is no effects loop anyway. It isn't necessarily how the D-Two is intended to be used, but whats a little higher signal to noise ratio among friends ;)

Having it wired for stereo will only be useful if you will always be using it in stereo, so do you primarily A/B between these amps or do you mostly run them both at once?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:31 pm 

Hi John,

thanks for your reply.

I know that the line level ins and outs of the d2 aren't really ideal, but is there a way I could "fake" a fx loop? Wouldn't something like the Lehle Parallel or the Suhr Minimix2 keep the noise down. I don't want to add unnecessary noise - just tone.

Having played through a BadCat Cub and a H&K Zentera for a while, I fell in love with playing through two amps at the same time. I now plan on abandoning the digital flagship and getting a nice simple tube amp. Like a two knob amp eg DrZ or maybe even the Bogner Atma......
With this new setup I'm pretty sure that the two amp heaven will continue and I might play primarely both amps...
In what way would that make a difference?

Thank you for your time and patience to share your knowledge!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:18 pm 

If you have the delay already I'd suggest just trying it out in front of the amp without attempting to throw money at something that likely won't be a problem. The Signal to Noise ratio will technically be worse, but that isn't to say it will be "noisy".

If you have the delay wired up for stereo, but only play through one amp, you will only be hearing one side of a stereo image... so with only the Left amp active and the D-Two doing something like a ping pong delay, you would only be hearing the repeats that are on the Left channel.

How many Loops are you currently using on your GCX?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:31 am 

Hi John,

I haven't bought the D2 yet, but you can find these in mint condition for the price of a new FlashbackX4 on ?-bay. I favour the D2 because of its tap tempo option, the ease of use and the option to store a lot more user presets.

I know that a pingpong delay doesn't make sense in a mono setup but eg the dynamic delay would be really nice. I'm not 100% sure but I think that you can even program different delays for each side. But I don't like programming too much. I want to store different delay times in the user preset with two or three interesting delay sounds. I play in a cover band, playing songs from Floyd, U2, Police and a lot more. So I need a range of time settings. And TC delays are used in these bands as well, of course.
Also, I see that using both amps with the delay makes a lot sense. But you sometimes only need or got one amp and the setup must be able to handle that as well.

At the moment I'm using two loops to control my amps and four for the stompboxes. But I plan on reducing that to two loops, as the compressor and boost are always on anyways. That would be four unused loops.

Thanks,
flo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:34 am 

I came up with something, but I'm not sure if that'll work and if it does whatit should.

What do you think?

I'd use a Lehle P-split as a splitter which should limit groundloops.

Attachments:
00001.jpg
00001.jpg [ 84.66 KiB | Viewed 811 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:31 am 

Your setup drawing should work for what you are doing. Right on!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:03 pm 

Thanks!

Looking forward to giving it a try :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:37 am 

I'm a Gilmour nut.... And tend to get a bit anal about his effects etc so please forgive me. If you're doing Floyd you'll be wanting to split the delay time between the 2 cabs.

Gilmour regularly has different delay times for each cab/amp. For example in Run Like Helll He'll have 450ms in one cab, and in the other he has 600ms. You need to "fake" having 2 delays like he did back in the day.

The TC D2 is great, the G-Force is better as you get all the modulation as well. Having the ability to have different delay times in each channel gives you the chance to get the famous "circular delay" effect used by Steve Lukather and Dave Gilmour.

Just my opinion.... take it how you like :-)

P.S I had to add an extra L to the song Run Like Helll.... as the forum puts an asterisk in place of the word hell

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:51 pm 

Good point, Bettsaj!
I like David's tone, I own a MM Luke and love some Toto albums so I guess it makes sense seeking options in FX units that will get me close to the sounds of my influences.

I've thought about the Gforce before, but it's still quite a lot of money.... On the other hand I am about to build a two amp "stereo" setup, so why limit the use from the beginning?

After reading your post I spent some time on the internet researching on the Gforce and found the Lexicon MPX1 to be a tough competitor. What do you guys think about the two units?

Will I need a linemixer somwhere in my setup when adding another stereoFX unit?

Thanks for your input :)