It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Two amps and a rack delay
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:22 am 

The Lexicon is a great unit..... The G-Force is better and that's reflected in the price difference.

You need a unit that has dual delays, the TC Electronic G-Force and the G-Major both have dual delays, as does the Lexicon. the benefit of the G-Force over the cheaper G-Major is you can move the effects around and put them in series or parallel, where the G-Major is pretty fixed. I'm not sure about the Lexicon.

The Lexicon MPX1 is a good unit, but I think it lacks the dynamic delay of the TC 2290, which both the G-Force and G-Major has... Basically the delays in the 2 TC units are better than the Lexicon MPX1 delays. TC are pretty much industry standard when it comes to delays....... So much so that Roger Waters had a whole rack of TC Electronic D-Two's for the wall tour.... Check this out at 4:30 into the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_jDBO2ugdE.

David Gilmour likes his vintage effects, that's why he still uses a Lexicon PCM70 in his rig, but he only uses that Lexicon for the circular delays at the beginning of the songs Time and Shine on You Crazy Diamond, the rest of the time he relies on the TC 2290.... The TC's do it just as good if not better now

For the money if you're on a budget and want the best delays possible..... I'd go for a TC Electronic G-Major, or G-Major 2. If you find one cheap enough get a G-Force.There is no discernible difference between the quality of the delays on the G-Force or the G-Majors.... The price difference between the 2 units is purely the flexibility in programming. Also some of the modulation effects on the G-Force are noticeably better than the G-Major.

Regarding a line mixer... no you shouldn't need one in my mind. I've seen huge guitar rack based rigs with no line mixer.

David Gilmour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:54 am 

Thank you for your input bettsaj.

I found a GForce and a DTwo for very reasonable price on the bay. I got them yesterday and haven't had the time for a decent setup.

But I connected the GForce to the GCX and ran it into one amp. And what I found out is that it sounds fantastic. Unfortunately everytime I activate its loop I get a nasty "click" sound (often delayed, depending on preset) from it.

What can I do about it?

I hope I will be able to hook the whole rig up on the weekend. Let's see where we can get from here.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:43 am 

how have you got it wired...? Have you got the G-Force running in stereo through 2 gcx loops then through the amps effects loop? It sounds like you have an older version of the G-Force which is perfectly OK, but they weren't made with true bypass switchers in mind.

You might want to check this post viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1809

You don't really need to run it through the GCX to be honest... But if you insist then the resistor mod will work (Just solder the resistor into the jack plug of the output cable). The other option is to take it out of the loop, and just have it through the effects loop of your amp.... You're not really gaining anything by putting it through the GCX as the G-Force is very transparent anyway. i've got a TriAxis in my rig, and although I'm still in process of wiring it up the G-Force won't be going through the GCX..... I'll be putting it through the Pre-Amp effects loop.

David Gilmour