It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Triple Rec -> GCX -> Ground Control and stuff
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:00 pm 

I've tried everything to no avail. Is there a step by step guide to program the channels? I don't want to burn out my mesa with all my trial and error. I unplugged all the connections to my amp and my ground control automatically recognizes all the other things in my rack no problem and I've connected my mesa to its original foot switch so I'm able to play now but without switching channels through my ground control. I'm pretty frustrated at this stage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:06 pm 

Wait, so what did you find when checking if Loop 5 was set to Momentary?

I'll try a step by step, but this will require re-initializing the Ground Control Pro so it is starting from scratch as if you had just pulled it all out of the box for the first time. To keep it simple, don't connect any other cables to the Ground COntro Pro, the GCX, or the Amp.
1. Connect the Ground Control Pro MIDI Out to GCX Pedal In using a 5 Pin Active MIDI Cable.
2. Connect GCX Loop 5 Out to the Channel 1 External Switching jack on the Mesa using a Speaker Cable or standard Instrument Cable.
3. Power up the GCX (which should in turn power up the Ground Control Pro).
4. Power up the amp.
5. On the Ground Control Pro, press both Setup Buttons to go into Setup Mode.
6. Press the Expanders Button.
7. Press the Yes Button to turn GCX 1 to "ON"
8. Press either Setup Button then press the Yes button to exit Setup Mode.
9. Press Button 1 on the top row to recall Preset 01. (for ease sake we are currently in 10 Presets per Bank Mode)
10. Press-and-hold the Edit Button to go into the Preset Edit mode.
11. Once the screen changes, release the Edit Button.
12. Press the Bank Down Button to get to the "GCX - 1" screen.
13. Press Button 5 to turn on GCX Loop 5. (at this point the amp should have switched to Channel 1)
14. Press the Edit Button to exit the Preset Edit mode then press the Yes button to save.

At this point recalling preset 01 should put the amp to Channel 1, recalling any other preset should put the amp back to Channel 2.

Does that work?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:35 pm 

Everything is good until I get to step 13. Channel 1 switches correctly. Once I plug in the cable for channel 2 on the gcx and mesa, It stays on channel 2 and 1 at the same time giving me this weird "bzzz" noise, so I deactivate channel 1 to turn the noise off. I don't understand why channel 2 always remains activated no matter what channel I'm trying to switch to (except switching to channel 2.) If I switch to channel 1 or 3, channel 2 is always on. I've checked my cables, the gcx, the ground control, everything to no avail. I can only get channel 1 when the other cables aren't plugged in on the mesa or gcx without that weird "bzzz" noise and channel 2 also being activated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:18 am 

My example has no cable connected to the Channel 2 External Switching jack. does it work as expected when no cable is connected to the Channel 2 External Switching Jack?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:50 pm 

That's correct, without any other cables connected to the gcx or mesa, only the cable for channel 1 it works fine. I can connect all the other rack items and it still works fine. As soon as I drop that cable in the mix that connects the mesa channel 2 to patch 6 on my gcx, I get the issue of channels 1 + 2 being activated and the "bzzz" noise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:18 pm 

Well lets go for not using that cable... the amp defaults to Channel two when one or three isn't selected anyway. So you can use Loop 5 to control Channel 1, and Loop 6 to control Channel 3. This gives you one more loop to use for audio stuff anyway!

I've never come across a Mesa that is acting like yours... so I am at a loss on why this is happening. Is there any other connections being made in the path, like thru an interface box perhaps, or are you literally connecting only a single cable between the GCX Loop and the External Switching jack on the amp?
Also, is this GCX New, or has it perhaps been modified in some way?

And another thing... Did you find that your GCX Loop 5 was set to Momentary or not?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 pm 

Sooooo guess what. I was like screw it I won't have the ground control set up the way I want. So I connected the channel 1 cable to the gcx, activated the preset and it was good. Then I plug in channel 3 to the gcx, it was working as well. I was feeling confidant, so I plugged in channel 2 one last time, guess what? It worked!!! I have no idea what the hell has been going on for the past 3-4 weeks with this thing, I'm assuming that for whatever reason, the ground control/gcx just didn't want me to program everything with all connections on the gcx plugged in. This is crazy!!! GCX and Ground Control and Triple Rectifier are working perfectly, the way I've been trying to get it to work all this time!!!

By the way, Channel 2 was never on momentary, none of my mesa channels were, just once when I was trying different combinations of settings to figure out how to get it working. John, I feel like I owe you a bottle of rum for troubleshooting this with me.

No other cables or connections from the mesa to the gcx.

GCX was brand new, same for the ground control.

I'm so happy this thing is working now!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:25 am 

Well that is great!

Wish we could have found why this was happening. This is a quite common pairing and we have never seen it be anywhere near this troublesome.

Good Luck and Crank it UP!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:26 am 

Well that is great!

Wish we could have found why this was happening. This is a quite common pairing and we have never seen it be anywhere near this troublesome.

Good Luck and Crank it UP!!

p.s. I like Rum ;)