It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Triple Rec -> GCX -> Ground Control and stuff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:56 pm 

Before anyone asks me to search the forum, I already have. The closest and most helpful thing I could find was a post by "doefle" here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6725&p=22916&hilit=triple+rectifier+to+gcx#p22916

Here is a rundown of my rig:
Triple Rec
2x12 cab

2 Power conditioners
Korg Tuner
Sure Wireless
G-Major
Crybaby Custom Rack Wah
GCX
Sonic Maximizer
Decimator Pro Rack G

For toe tapping:
Ground Control
Wah control for the rack wah

I've searched countless posts on this and other forums and watched the few videos on youtube, I've studied the manuals for everything and I still can't figure it out.

Should I go to the local guitar center and find someone to connect everything or can I get some help here?

I have the mesa channels and solo on the out of 1-4 on the GCX. I hooked up the GMAJOR to 5 and it doesn't seem to be working. When I turn on the GCX and my Ground Control powers up it can fin the GCX but nothing of the GMAJOR or channel switching is available. I just get silence from the amp (a little hum from the gain because it is on channel 2)

Can someone break it down barney style for me to get all this connected and working?
I don't have anything running through the effects loop of the mesa, I don't see the point since I want everything to run "to the front" of the cab. If you guys recommend I connect it to that I will but I don't have another cab (yet.)

Help me out please!!!

Post subject: Re: Triple Rec -> GCX -> Ground Control and stuff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:58 pm 

Also, how do I post pictures here so that I can show how I have everything hooked up?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:01 pm 

Here is what I would do with this setup...

Attachment:
misterTrig.jpg
misterTrig.jpg [ 64.61 KiB | Viewed 328 times ]

You can switch between the three amp channels using only two loops, I showed it with Loops 7 and 8, but you can use any two loops you want. So in this example if Loop 7 is On (Loop 8 Off) you will get Channel 1, if Loop 8 is On (Loop s Off) you will get Channel 3, if both Loops 7 and 8 are Off you will get Channel 2. Judging by your current setup I'd have to guess that you aren't turning any GCX Loops On which is why your amp is staying on Channel 2.

On the Ground Contro Pro you will need to go into Setup Mode and activate GCX #1, and name the G-Major as a MIDI Device.

1. Go into Setup Mode by pressing both Setup Buttons at the same time.
2. When the screen changes, press the Expanders Button.
3. Set GXC-1 to On using the Data +/- Buttons.
4. Press the Device Name/Channel button.
5. For Device 1 enter "G-MAJOR" using the Data +/- Buttons and the Cursor Left/Right buttons.
6. Press the Cursor Right Button until the Channel Number is flashing.
7. Set the MIDI Channel to whatever the G-Major is set to respond on. (01 is the default MIDI Channel for the G-Major)
8. Press the Cursor Right button again to get to the next screen.
9. Set the "Starts At" number to 01 using the Data +/_ buttons.
10. Exit Setup Mode by pressing either Setup Button then press the Yes button.

This will get yo ready to start creating presets that recall sounds on the G-Major as well as set whatever combination of the GCX Loops you want on. Look to the Edit Preset section of the Ground Control Pro manual. Assigning MIDI Program Changes shows how to set what numbered patch you will recall on the G-Major, and Controlling the GCX Guitar Audio Switcher will show you how to set the appropriate GCX Loops to get the effects and amp channels you want.

Let us know if you get stuck!

p.s. Uploading pictures can be done by using a hosting service and posting the link, or by uploading a picture file when you are creating a post using the "Upload Attachment" panel under the "Post a Reply" panel. Once you upload a file you can use the "Place Inline" button under the text box in the "Post a Reply" panel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:48 pm 

So I connected everything like in the diagram you posted. The only thing I did different on the GCX connections is:

1: Rack Wah
2: BBE
3: Gate
4: GMajor
5: Amp Channel 1
6: Amp Channel 2
7: Amp Channel 3
8: Amp Solo boost

Now when I try selecting channels, my mesa triple rec is stuck on channel two for some reason.

Here's a video in the link below of the problem, plus some weird hum I'm getting that I never had before connecting the GCX and Ground Control.

https://youtu.be/meEDAMiuIzY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 am 

I cannot see what your GCX is doing in that video. Here is what it should be doing for each amp channel...

Channel 1 = Loop 5 On, Loop 6 Off, Loop 7 Off
Channel 2 = Loop 5 Off, Loop 6 On, Loop 7 Off
Channel 3 = Loop 5 Off, Loop 6 Off, Loop 7 On

Is that how the presets you are recalling are programmed?
Are there any other cables connected to these GCX Loops? (you should only be using the Out/N.O. jack for the amp channel switching and boost)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:30 pm 

Yeah I didn't get that far into my channel programming, that's probably the issue.

That hum noise that I'm getting, is that the famous ground loop hum?

I have 2 power conditioners where all the gear is plugged in to that I then plug into a surge protector. I was watching a video on youtube where this guy had ground hum using two amps in stereo and he just got one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters on one of the amps and the hum went away. Could this be a quick, cheap solution?

(Thanks John for all the support, it's much appreciated!!!!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:53 am 

Let's get the channel switching working first, the noise may have been if you were selecting two channels at once. When you go into edit a preset and scroll down to the "GCX-1" screen, try turning on only one of Loop 5, 6, or 7 at a time to switch between the amp channels.

The example where the guy solved a ground loop in a rig with two amps doesn't necessarily apply here... cause, well, you don't have two amps ;)

Once you have the channel switching working correctly, you can test some of the common points where a ground loop may occur. On the GCX the first test would be to try connecting the output of the wireless directly to the In of Loop 1. If this kills the buzz then you will want to either isolate the GCX from the rack rails using something like HumFrees, or by opening up the GCX and lifting the Chassis Ground connection that is directly behind the two front panel jacks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:18 pm 

Hi John, me again. I tried another video of what's going on. I have done 2 factory resets and still no luck. HEEEEEEELLLPPPPP! hahahaha

https://youtu.be/vlOMRsR5ytY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:51 pm 

At about 2:00 into that latest video it looks like you have the GCX (at least loop 5) set to Momentary... all Loops used for controlling the External Switching jacks on your amp should be left at their default of "Normal" for Latching operation.

1. Press both Setup Buttons at the same time.
2. Press the Expanders Button.
3. The screen should now read "GCX-1 IS ON".
4. Press the Cursor Right button repeatedly to get to the settings for Loop 5.
6. The screen should read "LOOP5=NORMAL".
7. Use the Data +/- buttons to change this if it says anything else.

At about 3:30 you show where you named things in the Device Name/Channel list... only the G-Major should be listed there (and only once) and assigned a MIDI Channel. Everything else you show there can be deleted.

Let us know what you find!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:41 pm 

Awesome, I hope that is what I was missing!