Voodoo Commander with Rack Units?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Danny Prophecy

Voodoo Commander with Rack Units?

Post by Danny Prophecy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:05 pm

Hey everyone. Just a question for a dummy before I buy.

Can I use the Commander midi pedal in conjunction with my Marshall JMP-1 and Marshall JFX-1?

I plan to use a Wah pedal and floor tuner also. Are the rack units compatible?

Consists of Power Amp Marshall EL34 100x100, JMP-1 & JFX-1. I want to be able to change between clean, rhythm and lead, but also have a channel with separate effects on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

JohnClark

Re: Voodoo Commander with Rack Units?

Post by JohnClark » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:54 pm

The Commander will send MIDI Program Changes on MIDI Channel 1. Preset 1-10 will send Program Change 1-10 respectively.

Your JMP-1 and JFX-1 will accept these messages to recall their first 10 preset locations.

If you are not also using one of our Pedal Switcher units, or something similar, you will need a custom way to power the Commander as it only accepts power via Phantom Power on its MIDI Out jack.

I hope that helps!

Danny Prophecy

Post by Danny Prophecy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:17 am

Cheers John!!

Do you have any idea what I could use to phantom power it?
I've also been informed that the Commander is discontinued now, so do you know if the XP8 does the same/needs the same?

Cheers :D

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:06 pm

The Commander accepts power on Pins 1 and 3 on its MIDI Out jack. I don't know of an off the shelf box that just does this, but it is a rather simple custom box if you want someone to build one. Power can be 9V AC or DC and it draws about 50mA.

The PX-8 and PX-8 Plus can also send MIDI Program Changes with their presets. However, the PX-8 has only three presets, and the PX-8 Plus has 36 presets. Both units also have eight true bypass loops for switching pedals. Both units also have standard barrel jacks for power and accept 9VDC @ a minimum of about 100mA.

I hope that helps!