Reconfigure my pedalboard with 4 audio loop Pedal Switcher

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
VL Advocate

Reconfigure my pedalboard with 4 audio loop Pedal Switcher

Post by VL Advocate » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi, just got a used original pedal Switcher with 4 audio loops. Purchased it as my board is out of control and it's time to introduce a switcher. The attached pic outlines my current pedal configuration which ends with a Radial aby going to a stereo amp setup. My current setup includes a boss me-50 multi pedal which you might wonder why it's set up where it is in the pedal chain. In my current stereo amp setup I'm using the distortion from the two amps. Prior to hooking up the stereo amps, instead of going to the Radial ABY I was just going straight to either my Traynor Mark 3 combo or Line 6 Spider valve MK 212. I use Distortion from the boss multi pedal with both the Traynor and the Line 6 Spider valve 212, which I just used it's clean setting and didn't use any of its modeling distortion or modulation effects. That's why I have the boss multi pedal where it currently is in the chain. With the Marshall combo and Blackstar head, the Boss multi is a glorified volume pedal and I do use a few delay and modulation effects that work for certain songs. I'm putting some new tubes in my Traynor combo and once that's up and running I'll probably go to a stereo setup with the Traynor and the Line 6 Spider valve 212. When I go that route that I would be using the distortion effects on the boss multi pedal. So I guess you could say there are two possible stereo setups one with amps that supply their own distortion, and one with amps that I play clean and depend on the boss for distortion

None of my amps have an effects Loop but I do have a Radial EFX loop switcher pedal I'm not using, and I'm powering everything with my Furman SPB - 8C power conditioner pedalboard which has an effects Loop.

Anyways hopefully you can make sense of the picture and see the pedals I'm using in the current chain. I also show the effects Loop of the Furman pedalboard in case there's a suggestion for using that or the radial EFX Loop switcher pedal. There's a couple double lines in the attached picture, those aren't indicative of anything other than my struggles with my image editor.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions or questions to clarify what I've tried to describe above thank you

I also noticed there's an older version Ground Control on reverb for 75 bucks any advice on whether I should pick that up is appreciated as well.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180429-193811_620x278.jpg
Screenshot_20180429-193811_620x278.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 865 times
Screenshot_20180429-211044_620x994.jpg

JohnClark

Re: Reconfigure my pedalboard with 4 audio loop Pedal Switch

Post by JohnClark » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:05 pm

Wow!

I guess I'd first try running the Tremor, Helix, Dispatch Master, and BiFET Boost in the Loops of the Pedal Switcher, with Buffer #2 in the Insert.

That would at least give you a way to control the switching of those four pedals.

p.s. You mention this being Stereo but I don't see that anything here is set up in true Stereo. It looks to me that you are simply splitting the mono signal out to two amps.

VL Advocate

Post by VL Advocate » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:30 pm

JohnClark wrote:Wow!

p.s. You mention this being Stereo but I don't see that anything here is set up in true Stereo. It looks to me that you are simply splitting the mono signal out to two amps.
True. I was going to ask for recommendations on using one of the various stereo outputs available (harmonizer, ME 50, Helix Phaser), but thought I should just stick to the switcher. That said I welcome any and all suggestions to take advantage of any additional functionality available to me that I'm not using.

I wasn't thinking of putting the boost pedal in the switcher (probably because i have it last and I can reach it easily unlike the other 3 you mentioned ). I'll start with those 3...and go from there.

Thanks

VL Advocate

Post by VL Advocate » Sat May 12, 2018 11:01 am

I'll report back in once I've tried the original suggestion. I've been out of town at Shaky Knees Fest in ATL (great fest by the way).

The original ground control i mentioned dropped another $10...there's also a Commander available for about $40 more than the ground control. Any suggestions on whether I should get one or the other?

I'm away for the weekend, so next week I'll hook up the pedal Switcher and report back.

Thx

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Wed May 16, 2018 5:27 pm

For controllers, I suppose it all depends on what you ultimately want to do. A Commender will have 10 Presets and will certainly control a Pedal Switcher as well as send a Program Change on MIDI Channel 1 for any other gear you may want to control.
A Ground Control will also control the Pedal Switcher and has more MIDI capabilities for controlling your other MIDI gear as well as being able to name your presets.
Either way you still only have a few of your pedals being controlled by the switcher.

On the other hand, a PX-8 Plus would control this whole rig with every pedal being in a loop and wouldn't require an external MIDI Controller to have presets.

So what do you want to control?

VL Advocate

Post by VL Advocate » Thu May 24, 2018 3:28 pm

JohnClark wrote:
So what do you want to control?
Thanks again John...I can defintively say I don't know....

Fyi - I hooked up the Tremolo, Phaser, and Delay pedals and it's working as expected. I've achieved my first goal which was getting easy access to those 3 pedals which previously due to their placement I rarely used or experimented with.

I'll attach a pic later to show everyone how poorly I've laid out my pedalboard with mini power cables and patch cords flailing all over.

Good enough for now. I think I'll forget about a controller, and just play until I figure out if I ultimately would like to use a controller.