PX-8 Plus with Eventide H9

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
LoneTone

PX-8 Plus with Eventide H9

Post by LoneTone » Wed May 02, 2018 7:44 am

Hi there -

I'm brand new to switchers in general...just picked up the PX-8 Plus Dingbat board.

With the preset mode on the PX-8 Plus, am I able to recall different H9 effects for different presets? If so, how do I configure? Also, how would I wire the MIDI cable between the H9 and PX-8 Plus (which input(s)/output(s) on each)?

Thanks in advance for any input!

JohnClark

Re: PX-8 Plus with Eventide H9

Post by JohnClark » Wed May 09, 2018 10:11 am

It should work right out of the box. Connect the MIDI Out of the PX-8 Plus to the MIDI In of the H9. PX-8 Plus presets will send a Program Change on MIDI Channel 1, so if it isn't working make sure the H9 is set to receive MIDI Program Changes on MIDI Channel 1.

For each PX-8 Preset, you will program the H9 to do the sound you want.

Let us know if you get stuck!

LoneTone

Post by LoneTone » Wed May 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Great. Thanks, John!

srmd22

Post by srmd22 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:30 pm

I am just about to order a Dingbat board with PX-8, and I also have an H9. I just am wondering, not sure from the explanation - if I have the H9 connected to the PX-8 midi, will the correct program change be automatically sent to the H9 for each preset, or do I have to adjust any control change settings on the H9 (presuming it is receiving on channel 1). For example, if I have a the H9 set to say a chorus patch for one preset, and then a reverb patch for a second preset, will the H9 automatically switch to the chorus when I hit the switch for the first preset, and the reverb when I hit the switch for the second? Will it also switch to whatever parameters were active for the specific H9 patch at the time of setting the preset, or only whatever parameters were last set for that patch (eg. the delay time or repeats)?

Thanks,

Seth

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:25 pm

srmd22 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:30 pm
I am just about to order a Dingbat board with PX-8, and I also have an H9. I just am wondering, not sure from the explanation - if I have the H9 connected to the PX-8 midi, will the correct program change be automatically sent to the H9 for each preset, or do I have to adjust any control change settings on the H9 (presuming it is receiving on channel 1). For example, if I have a the H9 set to say a chorus patch for one preset, and then a reverb patch for a second preset, will the H9 automatically switch to the chorus when I hit the switch for the first preset, and the reverb when I hit the switch for the second? Will it also switch to whatever parameters were active for the specific H9 patch at the time of setting the preset, or only whatever parameters were last set for that patch (eg. the delay time or repeats)?

Thanks,

Seth
The PX-8 Plus has 36 Presets. Each Preset will send a MIDI Program Change message on MIDI Channel 1. The Program Change sent is sequential... Preset 1 in Bank 1 will send Program Change 01 Preset 2 in Bank 1 will send Program Change 02... and Preset 4 in Bank 9 will send Program Change 36. These will recall the first 36 Preset locations in your H9.
However you don't really even need to know all that. As long as the H9 is set to receive on MIDI Channel 1, it should just work that each PX-8 Preset recalls a new H9 Preset. Basically, you will recall a PX-8 Plus preset, then edit the current sound on your H9 and save the new sound on the H9 to the currently loaded preset location. Now whenever you recall the same PX-8 Plus preset it will in turn recall your H9 preset just as it was stored.

I hope that helps!

srmd22

Post by srmd22 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:32 pm

That is awesome - thanks for the crystal clear explanation. That is really going to open up the potential of the H9 for me, in a huge way.

I am now wondering if there is a way I can set up the PX-8 Plus to trigger the TRS preset on my El Capistan? It’s not midi though, so I am thinking probably not.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:53 am

The PX-8 Plus will not control the EXP Jack on the El Capistan. However, you could use our Control Switcher with a custom cable to perform that task, and the Control Switcher can be controlled by the PX-8 Plus via MIDI.

bobspencer

Post by bobspencer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:50 am

It didn't work like that for me.

I had to assign which PX-8 preset would recall the desired H9 preset from within the H9.
Select Pedal>MIDI Settings>Program Change receive map - there you will find all the H9's saved presets in a list and you can choose the which PX-8 preset you want to assign it to.

Maybe there's also another way or I have something set up incorrectly, but the method described above did not work for me.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:45 pm

bobspencer wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:50 am
It didn't work like that for me.

I had to assign which PX-8 preset would recall the desired H9 preset from within the H9.
Select Pedal>MIDI Settings>Program Change receive map - there you will find all the H9's saved presets in a list and you can choose the which PX-8 preset you want to assign it to.

Maybe there's also another way or I have something set up incorrectly, but the method described above did not work for me.
You used MIDI Mapping to accomplish what you needed and that is another perfectly fine way to go and can be a great help when you have presets already created that you want to recall. What I described was completely editing the existing H9 preset. Every H9 preset is able to be edited from the ground up, including the name, and then saved on the H9 to the current preset location or to any other location. I should have mentioned both methods from the get go, so here goes...

For mapping existing presets to specific Program Change messages, look to the System Menu section, and [RCV.MAP] - Create a MIDI Program Change Receive Map of the H9 User Guide for the steps to assign any existing H9 Preset to a specific Program Change.

For editing any H9 Preset, look to the Presets, Algorithms, Parameters section of the H9 User Guide for the steps to edit a preset and save, either to the current location or to a new preset location.

I hope that helps (better) ;)

srmd22

Post by srmd22 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Oh, interesting! I have received the Dingbat/PX-8, but waiting on a power supply, so I have not built the board yet.

I am wondering now, is it as easy as calling up a PX-8 present, setting the H9 to any patch, and saving that config? That was what I though you were saying initially - that whatever the H9 was showing would be called up by the command sent from the PX-8 after saving that preset in the PX-8. Maybe that is too easy, lol. Do I have to re-save the H9 patch to a particular H9 preset that corresponds to the PX-8 preset? Or set the H9 patch by editing the midi value for the preset, so it matches up with the correct PX-8 preset (1-36)? I guess I can figure that out too, never looked at the midi editing for the H9 (I am not a midi guy, it is like greek to me).