GCPro powering?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Marlboro05

GCPro powering?

Post by Marlboro05 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:18 am

Hi all,

Is there a way to power 2GCPro’s with a feed from one midi cable off one GCX?
I’d like to not have to use the walwart that comes with it.
Can I up the power feed in the GCX to allow more current to flow a set it up with a jumper from midi in to out/through?

Cheers
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

JohnClark

Re: GCPro powering?

Post by JohnClark » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 am

This can be done, but it would require modifying the second Ground Control Pro and you would in fact need a larger capacity power supply for the GCX.

There are no jumpers in place to enable Phantom Power Thru, but you could simply solder some wires in place to connect Pins 1 and 3 on the MIDI Out to Pins 1 and 3 on the MIDI In of the second Ground Control Pro.

Alesis had some products that had power supplies that were high current 9VAC with the same 4 Pin DIN connector. A quick search for "9VAC 4Pin DIN" should turn up useful results.

I hope that helps!

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 am

Thanks for that John, was thinking that a current doubler off my Pedal Power AC feeding the GCX and doing the jumper wires from the in to through. Also, would it be worth running wires directly from the power feed to the in for powering the GCPro’s? At the moment, the Pedal Power AC feeds the GCX, which feeds the first GCPro and the second GCPro is off the walwart.

Cheers Brett
And some other stuff.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:13 am

Unfortunately, you can't use a Current Doubler with the Pedal Power AC.

You may be able to get away with powering both Ground Control Pro units and the one GCX if you use one of the higher current outputs to the right on the Pedal Power AC. You can test by loading a preset that turns on as many of the LEDs in the displays and LEDs on the Instant Access switches as well as all the GCX Loops. If the current demand is too high, the Pedal Power AC output will simply shut off to protect itself.

I hope that helps!

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:58 am

Cheers for that John, I’ll give it a go and see what happens, otherwise might give another supply to the GCX a go.
And some other stuff.