First Rig

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
damaryllis@aol.com

First Rig

Post by damaryllis@aol.com » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:25 pm

I am new to this. I need help. Here is what I have:
GCP
GCX
Eleven Rack
G Major
Zenkudo
Blues Driver 2
Dunlop Cry Baby
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
MX200
Fuchs mod Fender Hot Rod Deville
Mackie fxpro12 mixer
QCS K12

How do I set this up so that the GCP will run them all. Including switching the Deville channels.

JohnClark

Re: First Rig

Post by JohnClark » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:57 am

The Ground Control Pro will easily control the MIDI gear... (The GCX, Eleven Rack, G-Major and MX200). Controlling the amp will require some modification or custom work to match Fender's unique footswitch circuitry. You may want to look to RJM's MINI Amp Gizmo together with their Hot Rod Custom Cable to control the amp functions.

In the Ground Control Pro you will enable the GCX in Expanders under Setup Mode. This will add the choice to select which GCX Loops should be Active when later creating your Ground Control Pro Presets.
You will also want to name each of your MIDI Devices (Eleven Rack, G-Major and MX200) in the Device Name/ MIDI Channel section under Setup Mode and assign each device its own MIDI Channel. You will set each device to then receive only on its assigned MIDI Channel. This will allow you to independently select the sound each MIDI Device should recall when creating your Ground Control Pro presets.

The bigger question at this point would be if you have a signal path in mind already that utilizes all this gear? For instance, what do you want to use the Mixer and Powered Monitor for? Do you use the Eleven Rack for its amp simulations or strictly for its effects?

damaryllis@aol.com

Post by damaryllis@aol.com » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:33 pm

Thank you for your reply.
I want to set up the rig as follows:
I do not know the correct terminology, but here is what I would like to do.
Use the Ground Control Pro to control as follows:
Number one preset = Eleven Rack Fender Twin
Button One = MX200 reverb
Button Two = Eleven Rack or G Major Effect
Button Three = Eleven Rack or G Major Effect
Button Four = Eleven Rack or G Major Effect
Button Five = Eleven Rack or G Major Effect
Button Six = Eleven Rack or G Major Effect
Button Seven = GCX = Blues Driver 2
Button Eight = GCX = Zenkudo
I would like to set up the remaining three presets for a blues setup, a jazz setup and a Santana setup.
I will be using everything running into the Mackie. In small venues I will use the Hot Rod Deville for power. For large venues I will be using the Qcs K12 system.
Is this possible?
Any advise will be very welcome.

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:27 am

damaryllis@aol.com wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:33 pm
Thank you for your reply.
I want to set up the rig as follows:
I do not know the correct terminology, but here is what I would like to do.
Use the Ground Control Pro to control as follows:
Number one preset = Eleven Rack Fender Twin
Button One = MX200 reverb
Button Two = Eleven Rack or G Major Effect
Button Three = Eleven Rack or G Major Effect
Button Four = Eleven Rack or G Major Effect
Button Five = Eleven Rack or G Major Effect
Button Six = Eleven Rack or G Major Effect
Button Seven = GCX = Blues Driver 2
Button Eight = GCX = Zenkudo
I would like to set up the remaining three presets for a blues setup, a jazz setup and a Santana setup.
I will be using everything running into the Mackie. In small venues I will use the Hot Rod Deville for power. For large venues I will be using the Qcs K12 system.
Is this possible?
Any advise will be very welcome.
Just want to make sure you understand that the functions of your Instant Access Buttons cannot be changed on a per PreSet basis and Program Change buttons 1 thru 4 turn Buttons 1 thru 8 On or Off depending on how you program them in each preset. Also, with all your Buttons/GCX Loops assigned to control effects as you've indicated, you have no way to direct your guitar signal between the 11-Rack and the DeVille, nor any way to change channels on the DeVille.
I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I have. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.