Advice and help for setting up my rig please!

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
5fFiddyonefiddy

Advice and help for setting up my rig please!

Post by 5fFiddyonefiddy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:39 pm

Hey guys, fairly new to rack gear..
I have the following to connect,

Carvin TS100

Marshall JMP-1

GCX

TC G-force

GCP

BOSS noise gate

Eq pedal

TS

and a boss tuner.

I have already assigned the bottom 4 presets of the GCP to the 4 different channels of the JMP-1 and I have got the TS and noise gate in different GCX loops so I understand how this works.. now for the harder bit...

The jmp-1 Fx loop sucks so I'm wanting to run the G-force between the preamp and poweramp (has anyone had good results doing this with the JMP-1 and g-force? I have not had a chance to try yet.

So if you think the above is a good idea, I want to have the gate and TS at the front of the JMP-1 and the g-force between the power and preamp.

And lastly, I use the power amp with the volume dimed and then I adjust the master with the jmp-1, with the G-force in the equation, would the output nob on it become the 'master' volume? The rig is mono btw.

Sorry if I have waffled on,

Thanks in advance!

JohnClark

Re: Advice and help for setting up my rig please!

Post by JohnClark » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:31 am

Where do you want to run the EQ pedal... in front of the amp after the preamp?

The noise gate (Boss NS-2, I assume?) can be connected a few different ways so I don't know exactly how you are already running it, but I would suggest the following to get started...

1. Guitar to GCX Guitar In.
2. GCX Rear Panel Feedthru to Tuner Input. (This will feed signal to the tuner at all times)
3. GCX Guitar Out to NS-2 Input.
4. NS-2 Output to GCX Loop 1 In.
5. Tube Screamer in the Send and Return of GCX Loop 1.
6. GCX Loop 1 Out to Loop 2 In.
7. EQ Pedal in the Send and Return of GCX Loop 2.
8. GCX Loop 2 Out to Instrument Input of JMP-1.
9. JMP-1 FX Send to GCX Loop 5 In.
10. GCX Loop 5 Send to NS-2 Return, NS-2 Send to Loop 5 Return.
11. GCX Loop 5 Out to JMP-1 FX Return.
(Running the NS-2 this way will trigger the gate off your raw guitar signal, but put the actual gate after all the noise making stuff. you will probably find that running it this way you wont really ever need to bypass the gate)
12. JMP-1 Mono Output to G-Force Mono Input.
13. G-Force Mono Output to Power Amp Mono Input.
14. Power Amp to Cabinet.
15. Rock!

No problem running the G-Force after the JMP-1 rather than in the FX Loop. However, as you guessed, you will now use the G-Force as you "master volume". If you keep the G-Force routed as described, you will be able to use it's boost function, as well. If you have a volume or expression pedal connected to the Ground Control Pro, you will set it to control the G-Force using Controller #007 for Volume control (you may need to do some programming on the G-Force to get it to respond the way you like)

I hope that helps!

5fFiddyonefiddy

Post by 5fFiddyonefiddy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:00 pm

Thanks a lot for the concise reply!

Yep, EQ at the front of the JMP-1.

I have used the NS-2 both ways you can but as the JMP-1 is quite noisy and I'm using a TS I will do as you have reccomended.

So just so I have this correct, in regards to the instant access pedals on the GCP,

Ts would be loop 1

EQ loop 2

And the gate in loop 5?

Also please can I ask why it jumps from the second loop to the 5th?

Many thanks for your help, I will connect as you have suggested and report back how I get on, I will want to use all the GCX loops eventually but for now I don't want to overcomplicate the setup and I don't know how many of the effects from the G-force I will want to use over the stompboxes I have, not had too much luck with the G-force as of yet, hates being used with my 5150, soldano HR+ and 800 so that's why I have persued a versatile and flexible rack rig.

Thanks again!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:33 pm

Oh, the reason I jumped loops like that was for making later expansion easier to keep wiring clean. By leaving Loops 3 and 4 unused, it makes it easier for you to add pedals that will go in front of your amp. For instance, if you added a new front end pedal you would use Loop 3 and simply connect Loop 2 Out to Loop 3 In, then take Loop 3 Out to the front of your amp. That way you don't need to wire around a Loop, or have to do a lot of reprogramming if you were to move the noise gate to another loop.
Similarly, Loops 6, 7, and 8 are in easy wiring reach for maybe putting something else in the FX Loop or in between the preamp and power amp if you were to add stuff later.

In the end, it doesn't really matter which three loops you use for the three pedals you have now, and the Instant access buttons are programmable anyway so any one of them can control any one of the loops you want. You can program all eight Instant Access buttons to control Loop 1 if you wanted, or make Buttons 1, 2, and 3 control Loops 1, 2, and 5 respectively. You can also program any of the Instant Access buttons to control the individual Effect Blocks in the G-Force.

I hope that helps!

5fFiddyonefiddy

Post by 5fFiddyonefiddy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:41 pm

Brilliant, thanks for the reply, I'm going on holiday for 10 nights but when I'm back I will be sure to connect it all and check back in here!

Thanks again

5fFiddyonefiddy

Post by 5fFiddyonefiddy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 am

Finally had a chance to connect everything, very happy, super versatile rig, may not sound as good as a 5150 or 800 but in terms of portability and versatility I'm more than made up, thanks a lot for your help, for now I will try to use the manuals and get everything exactly as i want and if I get confused or run into any issues I will post here again.

Thanks.

5fFiddyonefiddy

Post by 5fFiddyonefiddy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi John, one query I have is how do I control the G-force in a way that I use the same preset number on the g-force and just patch effects in and out like stompboxes instead of changing the preset each time. Thanks.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:36 pm

This is commonly called "stompbox mode" and what you will do is set your Ground Control Pro Instant Access buttons to work as on/off switches for the Effects Blocks on the G-Force.

Look to the Instant Access section under Setup Mode in the Ground Control Pro manual, particularly MIDI Continuous Controller On/Off. This will show you how to assign any Instant Access button to send a Control Change message and set the MIDI Channel it will use.

Each G-Force Effect Block will need the matching Control Change number assigned for Effect Bypass. In the G-Force, these are found in I/O Setup under the Control Tab.

I hope that helps!

5fFiddyonefiddy

Post by 5fFiddyonefiddy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply!

bettsaj

Post by bettsaj » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:37 am

I've got my rig *almost* set up the same as you.

I recently set up my G-Force between my Triaxis and Randall poweramp.... I was using the FX loop in the Triaxis, but now it's so much better. I think if you use stomp box mode on the GCP you will have the bottom 4 buttons as presets, and the remaining buttons as instant access buttons... That's how I have mine set up and it's super flexible. As John said, you can set up the expression pedal on the GCP to act as a global volume. That's easy to set up, and can be done in a matter of seconds. However if you want to control the volume of the dry signal going into the G-Force so you get delay trails after you've reduced the volume you will have to set it up differently, I think you'd have to set up the volume on each individual patch instead of a global volume.
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour