Boss SY-300 and PX-8 Plus

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
srmd22

Boss SY-300 and PX-8 Plus

Post by srmd22 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:10 pm

I have another compatibility question - with the presets on the PX-8 trigger the presets on the Boss SY-300 synthesizer, and is it just a matter of setting the presets on the Boss unit at the time of setting the preset for the switcher? (Eg. like with the H9, which I was asking about in another thread started by an H9 owner).

Thanks again, really appreciated the responses from JohnClark.

JohnClark

Re: Boss SY-300 and PX-8 Plus

Post by JohnClark » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:53 am

The PX-8 Plus, by default, should recall the first 36 "User Presets" in the SY-300... so basically, yes, it should work much the same way where you will hit a preset on the PX-8 Plus,then set your SY-300 to how you would like it to sound and save to the currently loaded SY-300 Preset location.

I should also mention that both your devices also have a MIDI Map function that lets you take any pedal Preset and define what MIDI Program Change will recall that preset. This helps if you have presets in these pedals that you have already created but want a different PX-8 Plus button recall these sounds.

Also, since you have two MIDI Devices you will want to set the first pedal in the MIDI path to have its MIDI Out act as a MIDI Thru. This will allow you to control both devices using only MIDI Channel 1.

I hope that helps!

srmd22

Re: Boss SY-300 and PX-8 Plus

Post by srmd22 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:17 pm

I think I get it - I will have to experiment, and maybe learn a bit about mapping, once I get the board set up. Saw your reply to the other H9 post too, thanks!