Lost channel when loop off

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
JohnClark

Re: Lost channel when loop off

Post by JohnClark » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:04 am

Sorry to have assumed that is what you were already doing! Yes, you will need to use an Insert Point Cable to connect between the Send of Loop 8 (TRS) and the Left and Right Inputs (TS) on the G-Force. You will also need to use another Insert Point Cable to connect between the the G-Force Left and Right Outputs (TS) and the Return of Loop 8 (TRS).

I hope that helps!

bettsaj

Post by bettsaj » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:01 am

All sorted, and it sounds better than it did before.

I've ditched the fx loop after it went pop yesterday. I was practising, and kicked in my boost pedal and then the whole rig cut out. I checked and re-checked everything and came to the conclusion that the fx loop on the triaxis has failed. I rewired the whole rig in series placing the G-Force in loop 8 between the triaxis and the poweramp, and everything is working great.

I think i need to get the triaxis serviced.
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour

bettsaj

Post by bettsaj » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:47 am

Ok John, here's an update.

The G-Force and Triaxis have been rewired as in the diagram attached. The Triaxis is between the in and out of loops 7 & 8, the out of loop 8 goes to the L/R inputs of the power amp. The only issue I have now is when i engage or disengage loop 8 I get a slight pop.

The other new addition that's on its way is a Rane line mixer which should arrive in a day or two, which has 8 stereo line input channels (16 inputs), plus stereo FX return and stereo link inputs, both of which can be used as extra line inputs. Level, pan and FX send on each main channel, plus main output level.

Then I'll have another wiring dilema. I'm not too fussed about having the G-Force in a loop, although it is nice to be able to bypass all FX in the G-Force just by tapping one button. How would you wire in the mixer?? I'm aware the line mixer will be parallel so killdry will have to be switched on in the G-Force. I was thinking of wiring it as follows initially.... Loop 8 send -> mixer input -> mixer output -> Loop 8 Return, then wire the G-Force into one of the mixer loops.

As an aside to this, is it possible to wire individual GCX loops into the different loops on the mixer? Therefore being able to individually mix the level of each GCX loop?

How do people use mixers, what the "best" way of wiring them, having never used one before in a guitar rig.

I like having the G-Force between the Triaxis and power amp, it seems to work really well there. It works better between the preamp and power amp than it ever did in the FX loop. (I still need to get the Triaxis serviced to find out what went wrong with the FX loop)
Attachments
IMG_20181110_0001.jpg
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

David Gilmour

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:58 pm

With a mixer setup to run the G-Force in Parallel some things will certainly change. The basic setup would be as follows:
1. Split the Mono output of the Triaxis. (Maybe you can use the Left and Right Triaxis Outputs to do this since it isn't actually a Stereo signal yet.)
2. One side of the Mono split feeds into Mixer Channel "1" with the Pan set to Center.
3. The other side of the Mono split will ultimately feed the G-Force. (You can go to a GCX Loop In first, then use the Send to feed the G-Force to mute the input to the G-Force when the Loop is Off.)
4. The Stereo Output of the G-Force will go into Mixer Channel "2". (If a Stereo input, otherwise use two Mixer Channels)
5. The Stereo Output of the Mixer will feed the Power Amp.
6. Set the G-Force to Kill Dry so its outputs are Effects Only Outputs.

Mix "1" will be your Dry Signal level, and Mix "2" will be your Wet Signal level. Tweaking these levels gives you your mix balance. The mixer Output level control will control the mixed signal level going to the Power Amp.

I hope that helps!

bettsaj

Post by bettsaj » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:33 am

Thanks for the reply, John. I now have a problem.... I had purchased a used Rane mixer off eBay, as it was really reasonably priced (£100) however the couriers have lost the parcel, therefore the seller has refunded my money....

I was looking at buying Eskos voodoo labs system mix plus and obviously have noticed it's no longer sold anymore by Voodoo Labs. Do you still support that system, and if so what are the benefits in using the system mix plus, against using a more standard line mixer.

David Gilmour

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Sorry to hear the mixer got lost!

The main benefits of the System Mix Plus is that it is purpose built for expressly what you are doing... running effects in parallel in a guitar rig. It has some bells and whistles too in that it provides some useful connection points for studio use.

The System Mix Plus is long discontinued. Support is somewhat minimal in that I'm pretty much the only employee here that has ever seen one, but I've got no problem helping out here on the forum ;)