Will GCX Phantom Power a BJ-Devices MIDI Controller?

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
nyteowl

Will GCX Phantom Power a BJ-Devices MIDI Controller?

Post by nyteowl » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:31 pm

I'm rather confident I've got this right, but it's been so long I want to run it past the forum to be sure.

I got away from rack gear for quite a while, but recently picked up an older DMC GCX. It's so old it has both a 4-pin power connector and a female barrel jack power input as well. I want to use it with a BJ Devices TB-6P MIDI Foot Controller - for the smaller footprint - and want to phantom power the TB-6P via the MIDI Cable.

As I understand it, the
Using the GCX without a Ground Control section on Page 14 of the GCX User's Manual indicates Pins 1 and 3 of a 5-pin MIDI Cable are used to supply power to the GCPro, and the TB-6P User's Guide states:

"
Phantom power is received at MIDI OUT port of the controller. Please note that we use 5 pin (NOT 7 pin) MIDI OUT port that receives phantom power on pins 1 and 3, polarity doesn't matter."

Given that, I'd say I'm good to go, no?

I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I've picked up over the years. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.

Marlboro05

Re: Will GCX Phantom Power a BJ-Devices MIDI Controller?

Post by Marlboro05 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:04 am

Hi Nyteowl,
Yes it will, should be plug and play. Well, sort of.
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

nyteowl

Re: Will GCX Phantom Power a BJ-Devices MIDI Controller?

Post by nyteowl » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:22 am

Marlboro05 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:04 am
Hi Nyteowl,
Yes it will, should be plug and play. Well, sort of.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm just getting the new rack organized, and should have it up and running soon.
I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I've picked up over the years. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.