Loops Gcx not engaging

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Joost3

Loops Gcx not engaging

Post by Joost3 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:14 am

Hi,
I’m putting my rack back together (mesa recording preamp, 2:90, rocktron xpression, overdive pedals) and at first i could switch the loops on and off via the ground control pro. But now the loops are not engaging anymore. They stay of, even when the indicator light for the loop is on and i can not switch a pedal on and off. The midi messages sent to the xpression seem to work, the presets on the xpression change via the ground control pro. I think i have set up the ground control properly, loops are set to normal. Cgx and gcp seem to communicate ok, except for this strange loop issue. What could be the problem?
Thanks in advance, Johan

nyteowl

Re: Loops Gcx not engaging

Post by nyteowl » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:56 am

Sounds like your GCPro and GCX might not be communicating at all, else the loops would be switching On and Off when you depress the GCPro foot switches. Conversely, it's also possible the loops are switching on and off but there is no guitar signal feeding/passing through them.

Have you tried checking all your connections and/or swapping out any cables yet?
I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I've picked up over the years. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.

Joost3

Post by Joost3 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:32 am

Hello, i fund the culprit. I powered the gcx with the voodoolab 4-pin din cable from my pedal power plus 2. I guess there wasn’t enough current (ampere) to power both the gcx and the gcp. I swapped back to the old and not rackfriendly 2 meter long powersupply which came with the gcp and everything worked again!
Regards

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:55 am

Hmm...that's interesting, as I just picked up one of those Pedal Power adapters to power my GCX, and while I haven't tried it yet it's disappointing to hear it didn't work for you. I don't use a Pedal Power, though, and planned to use the adapter with a different power supply, but now I'm wondering if it will work at all.

:? :?
I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I've picked up over the years. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.

Joost3

Post by Joost3 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:06 am

I guess it works for just the gcx and not the combination with the ground control pro...

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:54 pm

Joost3 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:06 am
I guess it works for just the gcx and not the combination with the ground control pro...
Well, both units are looking for 500mA each; guess they weren't quite getting that much before.

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:09 am

Hi there,
I have a Pedal Power AC and power the GCX with it, which in turn powers the GC Pro but I also ran jump wires from the Midi in to the Midi out to Power a second GC Pro. It all works good.
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:58 pm

GCX should get 9VAC... particularly if you are also going to Phantom Power a Ground Control Pro. AC will not suffer the same voltage drop across the MIDI cable as DC will.

However, of course we can bend the rules depending on the situation. A GCX can accept AC or DC power, but when powering from a DC supply it should be 12V in order to still reliably power the GCX relays. If powering only a GCX, our 12V / 400mA outputs will work.

The cable we make with the 4-Pin DIN connector was intended for use with the Pedal Power AC. It has a 2.5mm Barrel connector to match the 2.5mm jacks on the Pedal Power AC.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------